Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving

For the FIRST time since surgery. Goodness..........you would've thought I was never behind the wheel! Does it get better???
    I felt soooo uncomfortable and tried many different positions. The driving itself was fine, it's trying to get the perfect seating . Any suggestions? Also, I'm JUST able to grab my seatbelt. It's difficult for me to reach around and grab it
    On a lighter note..........I got some new clothes and bathing suits for my birthday and they actually fit like they're supposed to. It's a miracle to have a normal straight body
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Summer,

I didn't drive for several months. The first time I did, I felt like I was a nervous teenager driving for the first time. It does get better each time. I tucked my seatbelt in the bottom of my seat so I didn't have to reach behind me for it. And I still get upset when someone moves my seat!!!

I think your doing great!!!

Shari

Comment

Summer,

A plastic shopping bag placed on my cloth seats helped me slide in and out easier. Also, if you have electric seats you can slide the seat back and get your seat belt easier and then adjust it for driving. My seats have the options of 3 programmed postions. I programmed one position for driving and one position for getting out of the car. When driving I liked to be sitting up higher and closer to the wheel. When getting out I wanted my seat a little lower so I wouldn't hit my head and slide back so I had full access to the open door.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Summer,
        I hope I'll be recovering as good as you!!! If you are up to driving already, you must be feeling a lot better... unfortunately, I'm much older(46) but in good shape...Ly

Comment

Type of car

Does it matter what kind of vehicle you have? I saw some earlier posts that said trucks or SUV's might be better. I'm facing surgery and the surgeon says he's going to fuse "the whole thing" and pointed from my neck to my butt. I think I'll be fused to the sacrum as well. I just found out I need to get a new car, so I'm just starting to shop. Are there any suggestions on what would be best? It definitely sounds like power seats are helpful. Does an SUV work out better for those with long fusions because it's easier to get in and out of? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

Comment

It is definatly easier to sit up higher rather than have to try to sit lower to the ground and get up from there as well. When I ride in my moms SUV I feel like I can just turn and slide right out, where as my Camry I have to push myself up and really struggle to stand.

Comment

Good for you Jenn! One more step in your recovering that you can check off the list! I found that grabbing my seat belt with my left hand and pulling it in front of me then grabbing it with my right was the easiest way for me to deal with it. Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks everyone and especially Gail! I can't believe we didn't think of just moving the seat back to put my seatbelt on and then sliding it forward...........see what surgery does to your senses.
                Jenn
                37 y/o female
                60 degree lumbar
                45 degree thoracic
                1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                T 5 to S 1
                NYC

Comment

Cars

Hi I Have a caravan and i love it. I drive a car once in a while and it kills my back. Good Luck Dave
                  Hello I'm Dave
                  34 years old
                  2002 C5-C7 Fusion with plate and screws.

Sept 2005 T3 to L1
                  65 degree before 37 degree After Thoracic
                  Rods and Screws

L3-L4 and L5-S1 took discs out fusied with rods and screws.

Had 11 1/4 hour surgery spent 6 days in coma and 7 days in heart ICU. Had a tough surgery don't want to go through that again.

Comment

I was finally allowed to drive at 4 months post op. I can't reach my seatbelt either and have to grope down behind me to pull it through at hip level - there's no way I can twist enough to reach it over my shoulder.

It's great though to be able to get back behind the wheel!
                    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

I find it is much easier to grab the seatbelt before I'm fully in the car. Before I bring in my left leg and before I'm completely facing front is when I grab the belt with my left hand. I then switch it to my right and hold it while I get my left leg in the car and the door closed and locked. It's alot easier than it sounds!
                      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                      Fused T2 to sacrum
                      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                      X