frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated

Hi All- I was diagnosed a few months ago at age 28 w/35 deg left thoracic scoliosis after having pain on and off for 18 mos. I am seeing an Osteopath who specializes in spine issues and chronic pain so that all seems good. Unfortunately, the past 6 weeks have just been awful.

My worst pain is between my spine and right shoulder blade. It has varied somewhat during those 6 weeks. I tried reducing all activites to a minimum - no cooking (I love to cook), no cleaning, no lifting, nothing. That seemed to help somewhat but it is depressing to be so inactive. I saw the Dr. last week to followup after an MRI and EMG (no probs) and I got a cortisone injection and am taking 300mgs of neurontin per day. A few days ago, I took a risk and carried some groceries into the house and now I'm right back where I started before the treatment. I'm so uncomfortabled that I can't lift small objects, and I have to be very careful when I walk, or even turn my head because it is so jarring. Advil does not seem to help. I am becoming an expert couch potato which is not at all my style and very, very disheartening!

I'm supposed to start PT on Mon and I have another apt. with the Osteopath in a month to see how I'm doing.

I'm looking for suggestions, treatments, anything that might make me functional. Has anyone had a "flare up" like this, if that's what it is, and beaten it? I would exercise if I could but I can't. Help!

Dear Faldaste,

I have had painful pinches like this over the years in my back with my double scoliosis. It is no fun; makes life difficult, but you're right you can't stop living.

Some of the things that have helped me are:

Massages
    Chiropractic adjustments
    Heat &/or ice
    Physical therapy

You mentioned that you were about to start physical therapy and I would encourage that. It will not work immediately, but a good one will prescribe stretches and strengthening exercises that will help the area to heal. He will also know how to do "releases" which will help with the pain.

I recently had therapy for a pinch in my upper neck that was making my whole arm hurt and feel asleep. It took 4-6 weeks of faithfully doing my exerciese and therapy and it gradually faded away. Good luck.

Deb

Comment

Walking and swimming

That won't affect those muscles as much and will get you moving too(for the rest of your body).

I also have the same pain, but it is due to my screws. I don't know what to take and am waiting for some types of shots. I also do less but still continue to do normal things, just not lifting heavy objects and repetetive moments. It's hard to find a balance but I can't stop living and I don't know if it would help much more. It's frustrating I can understand since I often am in not much pain and then I do something like too much typing here or get stressed or anything and the pain starts...I try not to do things that are physical and do things slowly but I already feel like I'm not living that much sometimes I guess I can't stop moving al together, it's ridiculous.

Acupuncure can help too for a person who doesn't have hardware(such as yourself).
      Last edited by sweetness514; 07-09-2006, 01:57 PM.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have been going to PT and from what they said and what I have read on the net, just do light stretching while you are in pain. You should not do any strengthening exercises with any weight or resistance until you are out of pain. PT has ultrasound, stim, heat and ice, etc. to help relieve the pain.

Comment

Working...
        X