Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried about falling behind..

hey everyone its lindsay again.

i was just wondering how im doing compaired to everyone else.

i still need help in the shower washing my hair, because i cant keep my arms up that long.

im mostly in bed and im getting up every 30 minutes to stretch and walk around.

i cant bend much, like forward or backward.

i cant sit for more that 40 minutes.

i started pool therapy and im really stiff now. but im told its a good thing. that im getting better.

and i still walk a little hunched over, i think im scared to try to stand up straight...i dont know..

im just worried that im behind in my recovery, how is everyone else doing??

OH AND FYI..
    if you are having surgery, once you get home and take showers, keep them cool and quick. the nurses never told me this but without moving much then getting in a hot shower you can faint. and thats exactly what happened to me. i got out of the shower and my mom was there and i was wiping myself off and i just blacked out. thank god my mom caught me, because falling would have been terrrible, but i was in the water too long and i had it too hot. (it felt good!) i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or did your doctor warn you about this??

i posted my story here and it tells some of my progression up to 15 days post op -- thats about as close as you are -- the thread is in this section its called Are You Having Surgery? Here's My Story
    ~Wanda~
    40TL curve pre op
    Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
    San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
    June 7, 2006
    post op curve: 16

Comment

You sound like you're doing fine! People are different in their speed of recovery. I know you're far ahead of me in the sitting category; it was a long while before I was able to sit for a respectable amount of time.
      Call me Kari.

I had surgery on October 13, 2005 for my scoli.

I used to wear a Providence brace.

[[[[[[]]]]]]

Comment

Hey Lindsay,
        I asked Shelby if she felt like sitting at the computer to write you but she said "not today". Shelby is doing pretty good, she still has pain in her hips and ribs. She is also walking hunched over and I think she feels the same as you that she is scared to straighten up. We have walked to the end of our block every night this week. I think it has helped getting her outside. Are you still waking up in the middle of the night for meds? We are almost out of Lortab so I guess we will then switch to Tylenol. Have your steri strips started to come off yet? Two of Shelby's came off yesterday after her shower. Shelby can take a shower by herself but she wants me in the bathroom while she is in the shower. She sits in a recliner every day and gets up every 30 mins to an hour to walk around the house. I e-mailed her surgeons nurse yesterday as something startled her the other day and she jumped and it took a day or two for the pain to go away and she thought she had done something to her back but the nurse assured me that she was fine. She isn't doing alot by herself yet (getting in and out of bed and getting up and down from a sitting position). The nurse told me I needed to start making her try to do things on her own. I just wasn't sure how hard I should push her. I think you both are progressing well and at your own pace. See you are sitting at the computer and she hasn't done that yet. I know how you feel though, I wonder if she is making the right progress as well. Just think Monday is the three week mark and everyone says that there seems to be a turn around at three weeks. Shelby's surgeon didn't want her in a car for the first four weeks so I think by the fourth week she will be ready to go somewhere. Her friends have been keeping her entertained by coming every day and watching movies. I hope that you both continue on this slow but steady path of recovery. It's always good to hear from you so keep in touch.

Kathy
        Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
        44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
        Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
        June 19, 2006

Comment

its good to know that im not the only one walking hunched over! my mom and dad are constantly reminding me to straighten up. i've been trying to and i can deff. feel my muscles pulling. i've been getting out of bed and up and out of chairs by myself since the begining of last week. i've mastered the 'log roll'. my parents are very encouraging, they want me to do as much by myself as i can. my mom stays in the bathroom while i shower also, my mom is still a little freaked after my fainting incident. i had an evaluation last monday for physical therapy. and i had water therapy last wed and friday and have it again today and this friday. then next week i start the land therapy. riding in a car is still sort of hard for me, but i have my music to listen too. i can stretch much farther now that i've had some therapy. and my parents are taking me to the neighborhood pool in the mornings to get extra exercise. im finally sleeping through the night!! it took three weeks but im finally there. my hospital meds are almost gone now, im only taking them to help me fall asleep at night. so during the day every 6-8 hours i take motrin. my doctor pulled off my steri strips 2 days after my surgery. but the sticky tape residue is still on my back. its still tender back there so we cant really wash those off yet.

questions for shelby:

while shes lying in bed can she almost 'feel' the ends of the fussion? it's hard to explain but maybe she will know what im talking about..

is it still hard for her to get comfortable in bed? while shes lying down?

thanks!
          Lindsay

Comment

Hi Lindsay,
            I asked Shelby about "feeling the fusion" and she said yes she kinda feels it at the bottom. She was crying from the itching last night, do you have alot of itching. She can feel the itching and tries to scratch but can't feel that because she is still numb. It was getting very frustrating to her. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to sleep but she did. She sleeps on her side with pillows slightly under and behind her. She sometimes ends up on her back but she seems to stay fairly comfortable. I can't believe you are already going to the pool. We also have a neighborhood pool and we went once but Shelby isn't allowed in the water yet. She isn't even allowed in the car until our four week check up next Tuesday. You said you were taking Motrin, we were advised against taking Motrin as it is an anti inflammatory and can possibly cause problems with the fusion process. Shelby is taking Extra Strength Tylenol. Glad to hear you are healing well.

Kathy
            Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
            44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
            Posterior Fusion T4 to L4
            June 19, 2006

Comment

yes. i have a ton of itching. it drives me crazy. but i cant really itch it b/c its still very sore back there. and i dont want to touch it. =P what i do if it gets bad is to take a shower. the water beating down on it feels good.

as for the numbness. i have it along the scar. my mom has to help me wash my back and when she washes along the scar it feels a bit numb.

i sleep on my back, but when i cant get comfortable i sleep on my side with a pillow behind me and in between my legs to help keep my spine straight. like shelby. my phyical therapist also said to lay on my bed without a pillow to help strengthen the muscles in my neck. its annoying but i know its helping me get stronger. has shelby done this?

i cant believe that shelby hasnt been in a car or water yet. its my doctors protocal to have his patients in therapy 2 weeks post op. so i've had 3 sessions so far and my parents are taking me to the pool every other day. but i have to say, i hate the car rides, they are really bumpy and the hospital is about 35 minutes away. but i've been getting better with sitting. i've been in this chair right now for over an hour. i like to get on AIM and chat with my friends. it helps me get my mind off my back and im practicing sitting at the same time.

my doctor reccomended motrin. but i guess all doctors are different.

i had a three week post op doctors appt. today. i got x-rayed and i got to see the rods in my back. it was crazy to look at. we saw the before and and after. it was amazing. my spine looked so straight. i just couldnt believe it. it finally hit me that this was all over with and now i just have to work on my revovery.

let me know how the month op doctors appt. goes. i hope all is well!!

Lindsay

Comment

Working...
              X