Insurance and Pre-existing Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance and Pre-existing Condition

Does anyone know the answer to this. If you have scoliosis as a child, is it difficult to get insurance as an adult? Will it be considered a "pre-existing" condition? We are wondering if our child needs surgery 10 years from now, will she be able to get coverage?

Hi....

I think it depends entirely on the carrier and whether it's a private or group policy. Hopefully someone with insurance experience will respond, but I believe if one has a group policy in the U.S., there cannot be any pre-existing condition clauses.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

LindaRacine is right. But note that most private insurance have waiting periods until certain "pre-existing conditions" will be covered by insurance. Note some never are, but it depends on the company. Best to shop around and get details in writing before signing on the dotted line. I'm lucky that I'm in a group coverage now, but my worry is if I ever decide to leave this company what is the possibility of a private insurance covering. No doubt it would be a high premium at that because of my previous stomatch surgeries as well. Good thing I have an emergency fund set aside. (thou I know it won't cover everything.)

Comment

Working...
      X