Uneven ribcage in front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven ribcage in front?

It's been 16 months since my surgery and I have recently noticed that the lower front part of my left ribcage sticks out a bit further than my right. I had part of a rib removed on the right side and I know that the rib grows back flatter than normal. Does that new growth have that much of an affect on the rest of the ribs on that same side that the entire set of ribs would lay flatter or does this difference have nothing to do with my surgery and it's just something that I'm noticing now because I'm more aware of my body now than I ever was?

Ribs

Heidi:

Once the ribs are misshapen any length of time they stay that way unless a thoracoplasty is done--and that is only on a portion of the chest-the rib hump.

With straightening of the spine the misshapen ribs are in a new position but still misshapen. However, even with all this, the cosmetic result is still much better.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

New here!! I had surgery in 1996 and have 5 vertebrea fused. I don't remember all of the medical terminology (I was 18, doing what my mom and dad said I should do) but from the bottom I have 3 unfused, then the next 5 are fused with a harrington rod and titanium screws. I have always had the same ribcage problem.... Since I had my daughter, I have some serious pains in that rib (they used the rib for my bone graft). Yesterday, it was debilitating, and still is quite painfull. In the past, it has been a shooting pain that is gone as quick as it came. The pain started while I was putting her in her carseat in the back of a TrailBlazer, I do this pretty regularly, although I usually drive my minivan adn put her in and out of that. I am wondering if I should try a chiropractor to see if it is out of place. My chiropractor told me before surgery that he'd never see me again and wouldn't work on me, but I need some help from someone. I am taking lots of pain killers and can hardly pick up my daughter, I'm only holding her when I absloutely have to. That's not the kind of mom I am, I LOVE holding my 1.5 year old!!!! Any ideas?
      Tonya

Comment

Working...
      X