Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Hump

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering i read on hear that a lot of people have rib humps. May i ask why that is?
    As i have to curves 50 degree top and 40 - 50 bottom but i don't have a rib hump, thats why people i know don't even know i have scoliosis.
    Are there people out there who don't have a rib hump and haven't had surgery?

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Just discovered mine!

Hi Leelee,

I didn't know I had one until I bent over in front of a mirror. I am 25 and just discovered mine. It's possible you have one and haven't noticed it yet?? Otherwise, that's good news that you don't have one!!

Also, even though I have a rib hump (my curve is 45 degrees - thoracic), no one has ever noticed my scoliosis either, not even my own family.

I never knew why we get them until this website and my research - but it's caused by the rotation of the rib cage as your curve progresses. If anyone has a better definition, please let me know

Jamie

Comment

Hi LeeLee...

Ribs humps are created when the spine rotates while it curves. It's possible that your spine hasn't rotated as much as it usually does in scoliosis, or as JamieAnn suggests, that you just have noticed it.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Well i always bend over to try and find the rib hump and i can't see one nor can my family or my doctors.
        Is that a good sign if i don't have a rib hump? Even though my scoliosis isn't that mild though?

Thanks
        Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Lee,

I'll bet you don't have a rib hump because your scoliosis is congenital. Your vertebrae are malformed, but your spine is not as rotated as a typical adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patient may have. Your spine has probably balanced itself out very well. Braydon has similar congenital malformations that you do, but he has a very pronounced/prominent rib hump. We'll be addressing the rib hump issues in a future surgery (thoracoplasty). Good for you and no rib hump.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
          X