blood....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood....

I'm driving to my first blood donation about 25-30 min away tomorrow. I'm hoping I'm ok to drive back??? I was assuming after a bit of a rest, I'll be good to go & yet reading some old posts by people, it sounded like they were exhausted after... still I'm not to worried about it........Ly

Hi...

It really depends on the individual. I was completely normal, even after donating my 7th unit in 7 weeks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
      Hi...

It really depends on the individual. I was completely normal, even after donating my 7th unit in 7 weeks.

Regards,
      Linda
      Same here. I was just fine. From what I have seen, it seems like the people who have problems with donating blood are people who are afraid of needles. Just from what I have seen/heard.

Comment

driving after blood donation???

No one can guarantee in advance how you will feel afterwards. I had my husband drive me; I did feel a little dizzy afterward. This was after I had originally planned to drive myself. I called him to get me.

A paramedic told me never to drive alone afterward. He knew of a case where a lady passed out driving and got into a fatal car accident after donating blood.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Not afraid of needles

At all. I am naturally a person that tends to be anemic b/c of irregular and heavy periods(I take iron on and off all the time for it, have a good diet), and so even if I took the iron I was dizzy afterwards. I had a juice and muffin after and they made me lie down and put a cold wet cloth on my forehead during and insisted that I rest afterwards.

But I can say that after the first time it wasn't as bad, and I could have driven if I wanted to(thank God hubby did though it was the first snowstorm of the year and it took two hours in traffic). The second I couldn't have driven if I wanted to, I was very weak for two days at least.

I agree with what Karen said.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

thks all,
            I'm going to drive over myself & presume I'll be ok after a rest. If not I have a girlfriend I can call. I've no problem at all w/ needles or blood...& I feel as strong as an ox being on iron/vit c & all!!! Seems to me this is the 'easy' part of this whole thg..........Ly
            surgery aug 1st/60/60curves
            ant/post http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

blood

Hi Lynn. I hope all goes well with the donation. I had someone drive me when I went, just in case. It's good that you have a backup person to call if you cannot drive. Did you donate at St. Claire's in Dover? That's where I went, since it was near work...
              Heather
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

yea-heather, it was St Claire's in Dover.........was real easy, no problems..actually a tiny bit light headed but feel happy!! Kind of like a high...driving was fine(25 min drive home)
                2 more to go & as I said the Iron makes you feel pretty pumped.....Ly

Comment

I am alittle concerned because it seems that everyone has donated blood before there surgery. My surgeon said that it is my choice, but his opinion was that if I donate blood I might be anemic and more likely to need a transfusion. Has anyone else had it presented to them in that way?
                  Dawn
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

Our surgeon's explanation of blood donation...

I had the same thoughts on my son donating blood before surgery, about him getting weak, etc. but our surgeon put him on iron pills and a multi-vitamin and said that it promotes your bodies healing properties when you donate blood. I did a bit of research before our first appt. even and most of what I found was favorable to donating your own blood. Just my 2 cents worth.
                    Laurie
                    mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Hi Dawn...

Please don't be concerned. I think that most of the top doctors are now telling their patients that they should not get stressed about donating blood. It's nice if the patient can do it without risking their health, but using donor blood is almost 100% safe.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by dawney
                        I am alittle concerned because it seems that everyone has donated blood before there surgery. My surgeon said that it is my choice, but his opinion was that if I donate blood I might be anemic and more likely to need a transfusion. Has anyone else had it presented to them in that way?
                        Dawn
                        I hadn't had it presented to me that way, and on the contrary all doctors for all my surgeries favored me giving my own blood but even after taking iron before and after, I was a bit anemic. It's not a problem since I just have to take more iron and eat well.

Blood is tested a lot more thoroughly nowadays. I don't even know if they used mine for other patients this last time(I gave two and they didn't use any), as they told me it hadn't been tested for all they ususally test it for when they give it to another person.
                        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Dawn,

My Dr. wanted me to make sure I donated blood with plenty of time to recover before surgery. (3 weeks.) I didn't need the blood during surgery but 2 days later. You heal better with your own blood and having a pint on hand in case you need it is good insurance. If you can't donate your own, donor blood is always a option. I checked out donor blood and it is very safe.

Comment

I donated 2 units of my own blood, and both times I was good to go afterwards.

I don't know the protocol in other states, but I had to give blood with the Red Cross at a local clinic. I live in WV, and my surgery was in OH. About a week and a half after I gave my 1st unit, I received a letter from the Red Cross, stating that I had tested positive for Hep. C. I was devastated!!!

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago and I do not have Hep C. I spent a year thinking I did, and wondering how I got it!!!

Shari

Comment

shari-----did they mess up at the Red Cross or is it something that can go away over time?????????? They took several viles on me besides the pint & I go again this coming Monday....that made me a little nervous since I thought I had all my tests on testing day & don't need to hear I have something in my blood to hold me up........Ly

Comment

Working...
                              X