Anxiety Attacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety Attacks?

Hello, Is any one having problems with panic attacks?
    My daughter (surg 6/7/06) dreads going to bed at night. Not only because of the constant urge to urinate, but because she is having very bad panic attacks.
    I , myself, have post traumatic stress disorder from a surgery gone wrong..just wondering if you guys are dealing with this; or have figured out HOW to deal with it.
    Thanks, and be well!
    Last edited by unicornsmom; 07-02-2006, 06:43 PM.

Is it possible she could have a urinary tract infection? Constantly having to pee is one of its symptoms....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi...

I've heard from at least a handful of people, that they had panic attacks for some time after surgery. I'm guessing that it's medication related. You should definitely discuss it with your daughter's doctors.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

my grandfather had a different surgery, but he was on morphine, and it made him have anxiety attacks also.... they just slowly subsided after he was home and in a familiar setting.
        Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Thanks, it's so nice to have so many suggestions!

RE: peeing--I don't think it's an infection..no pain and we had a urine test already.
          RE: anxiety--She's been off meds for over a week. Ortho. surg. says to tell her MD, so we will be doing that. But, wanted to hear from people who understand, also, and not just a doc who "poo-poos" you and doesn't listen.
          Thanks again!! Happy Independence Day!

Comment

I have panic attacks, you can email me if you want, about it.
            Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
            Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
            Started Hospital examination - June 2003
            Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

What anesthesia (sp?) can do is really interesting. For some people, it can throw their brain chemical balance off, resulting in conditions such as depression, or anxiety that can appear weeks or even months after surgery. That happend to me. I have talked to a few doctors about this, and that is what they explained to me. They said it is actually fairly common and can take a little while to go away. Until then I take anti-depressants.

Im not sure if your daughter could be experiencing this, but I suggest you to talk to her surgeon about it. If he doesnt give you enough info, try contacting a phsycologist (sp? sorry, i was never a spelling B champ )

Comment

panic attacks

RE: anxiety--She's been off meds for over a week. Ortho. surg. says to tell her MD, so we will be doing that.
                Sounds like "mini-withdrawal" from meds.

I normally do not have anxiety, depression or panic attacks but when I was 3 months post-op and tapering off the narcotics I got it big time. My pain doc diagnosed it as withdrawal. He gave me short-term (2 1/2 months antidepressent) which also was good for pain. These also need tapering off.

I had been on heavy duty narcotics for 3 months. This is not addiction or a moral weakness; it is the body's normal reaction to taking away narcotics after a valid need for an extended length of time.
                The worse thing to do would be to substitute another habituating drug like xanax or valium. A pain doctor(a good one like mine at least) would avoid this trap.
                My doc also recommended walking as much as possible.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                X