Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Scoliosis Doctor in Jacksonville, FL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Scoliosis Doctor in Jacksonville, FL!

In March of this year, Dr. Sunday Ero (Spine & Scoliosis Surgeon with Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute – Riverside Division) did a spinal fusion from T-10 to the Sacrum on my back because of a 50 degree lumbar scoliosis. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Dr. Ero. For many years, Dr. Ero was the Director of Orthopaedic Surgery with the University of Florida Shands Hospital before going with JOI. He has a lot of experience and is truly a gifted surgeon. He was able to take my 50 degree curvature and make it less than 10 degrees, much better than I could have possibly hoped for. Needless to say, I would highly recommend him to anyone.
    Florida Judy

Hi Judy,

Congratulations on your successful surgery. I hope you are doing well with your recovery. I'm curious to know what symptoms you had that prompted you to have surgery. I am 57 and have a 75 deg. lumbar curve. I have no problems sitting or standing and work full time. I have occasional discomfort that is usually relieved with Advil. For exercise I brisk walk 45 mins. 3 to 4 times a week. I do have some hip pain following my walking but nothing significant. Thus far, I've seen four doctors, but not one has actually come right out and said that I should give serious thought to surgery. I would require a long fusion to the pelvis. I'm going for another opinion next week.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Chris

Comment

Reasons Florida Had Surgery

Hello Chris--Glad to hear you're not having problems sitting or standing. I'm 55 years old, and in the last 10 years, my scoliosis progressed a degree a year. Once the curvature begins to progress, the predictions are that it will progress a degree a year, so I was looking at it getting continually worse. I was also in pain from sitting and standing. My 50-degree curve was very low in the lumbar area and made my left hip jut upward, so I could not sit evenly which caused a lot of pain. I was working at a standing desk, which became ever more difficult. My husband and I decided that for quality-of-life issues, it would be best to bite the bullet and have surgery. I'm extremely glad I did, as my hips are now even and I gained a good 1" (possibly 1-1/2 inches).

I would highly recommend the book that is sold on this webiste at the NSF online store: "Scoliosis Surgery, the Definite Patient's Guide." I have several scoliosis books and this was the most helpful. It walks you through every step of the process, including what you should ask your othopaedic surgeon.

For us, once we decided to have surgery, finding the right surgeon was the greatest challenge, and I'm so glad I waited for the right one. Ultimately, the decision to have surgery is a very personal one that only you can decide based on their your symptoms. I was fused from T-10 to the sacrum, so my fusion is pretty long. I can feel the rods in the sacrum area, but it is so much better than it was before surgery!

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you, as I believe, we all need to stick together.
      Good luck!
      Florida Judy
      Last edited by Florida Judy; 07-02-2006, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Another fiftysomething looking at surgery

Hi Judy,

It's great to hear that you're happy you had the surgery. I am 51 with a 70-deg. thorocolumbar curve, and require a fusion very similar if not identical to yours.....the results of a discogram later in the year will determine whether the surgeon I've picked will fuse to L5 or the sacrum. I've pretty much decided to schedule the surgery in spring of '07.

Did you go to a rehab after the surgery? How is your post-op pain?

(another) Chris
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

also judy,
          you say you can feel the rods in your sacrum area???? never heard that??
          Ly

Comment

Right after surgery, I had at-home Physical Therapy to get me moving. That lasted around 3 weeks, I was assigned very simple movements, and then did them on my own at home. I began walking fairly quickly, and at first, it was just to the end of the driveway. I gave up the walker at about a month and built up to 2 miles eventually. I began swimming at 2 months, and am now doing ~15 laps. Tomorrow I begin out-patient Physical Therapy at a Rehab Center. This will include at-home exercises and massage for the muscles.

My surgeon and I originally were considering my going into a in-patient Rehab Center right from the hospital, but I ended up not being a good candidate for that because I was doing so well. My surgery was on Monday, and by Thursday, I was walking the halls with my walker.

I am in very little pain and only have some discomfort where I feel the rods near the sacrum (mostly left side). I asked Dr. Ero about this, and he indicates that the reason I feel the rods is because I'm not very heavy. I'm not really thin either (5"-2" & 130 lbs.). I think part of the reason I feel the rods is the exercise I'm doing. This feeling isn't really painful and sometimes I just shift a little to be rid of it. Also, remember that my curvature was very low in the lumbar area. I also had a discogram before surgery to see if I could fuse to L-5, but there was too much deformity and arthritis.

All in all I'm MUCH BETTER than before surgery and wonder sometimes why I waited so long. But you've got to be at the right mental stage to go forward with surgery, so timing is important. I remember the night before my surgery both my husband and I slept well and felt very positive driving to the hospital at 5:00 a.m. We had the right surgeon and we were ready.

Chris, the best of luck to you on your Spring '07 surgery! Let me know if you have anymore questions.
            Florida Judy

Comment

You're an inspiration!! Thank you. Please keep us informed of your progress...
              Chris
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Glad to hear your story Judy

Hi Judy,

So glad to hear that you are improving well and happy with your correction.
                I am 47 and also have a low lumbar curve, 75 degrees, along with a thoracic curve of 65 which will be corrected on July 24.

I think that my pain and symptoms are similar to what you had before: uneven hips, mechanical pain in one hip, difficulty in standing/walking and sitting for more than brief periods. Like you, my lumbar curve has been progressing one degree per year. When I was evaluated 10 years ago, the curves were 65/65 and my symptoms were not severe. However, the past 1 1/2 years I have been disabled from working which has put my family in great financial distress as we also had a son with a life threatening illness at the same time.

He has since recovered and the timing seems right while we still have good insurance through my husband. My rehab program will most likely be like yours at home or outpatient with PT as I am able. Was glad to hear that it worked well for you.

CHRIS WBS: Is your curve increasing every year? IMO, If I was in your shoes and getting along as well as you are with it, I wouldn't consider surgery unless it is progressing and painful or causing disability.

Deb

Comment

Deb,

I never had x-rays taken prior to last year, so I really don't know the rate of progression. Given the fact that I have lost 2½" in height and my ribs are resting on my pelvis, there's no doubt it has progressed. And I think most of the progression occurred during menopause. Just within the past couple of years, I can see a very noticeable advancement.

You're right though. It's tough making a decision about surgery when you're not experiencing debilitating pain.

Chris

Comment

Good luck, Deb, on the 24th!

The best of luck to you, Deb, on the 24th. I bet you'll be glad just to get it over with. Because my husband and I are edging toward retirement, we also needed to get the surgery done while we still had good health insurance. I'm sure it's tough being unable to work, but you'll be back there before you know it. I went to PT this morning and was comparing my movements to pre-surgery PT I had last year. I feel like I'm much improved.

Two things I didn't mention were that pre-surgery I also had to have a lift in my right shoe because the scoliosis made my right leg seem like it was shorter. The lift helped to even out the hips. I'm glad to not have that anymore. Maybe some day, I'll even wear "pretty shoes" again!

The 2nd thing was that my operation was done completely posterior. I think this really helped with the recovery. Of course, decisions like that need to be based on what will correct your back the best. But I was very happy to have it work well from that angle. The scar is pretty long (~18"), but at this stage of my life, I don't really care. and it's healing very well.

Again good luck to you on the 24th ... you'll be in my thoughts & prayers!
                    Florida Judy

Comment

Working...
                    X