Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How were you at 6 months post op?

Hey everyone!

I'm nearly 6 months post op. I feel like I'm doing ok some days but still am having a lot of pain and issues. My doctor still has me restricted from bending and twisting, and no lifting over 10-15lbs. Mainly because my pain has increased lately and we aren't sure why. So he doesn't want to try anything new that will make the pain worse. Maybe I'm just frustrated because it seems like it's been forever and I still have so much pain.

On a side note I saw my surgeon about 2 weeks ago while my pain was really bad. He did x-rays and the fusion is looking good he says. Not totally fused but good. I guess if it looks so freaking good I don't get why the pain is getting worse for me.

What all were you able to do at 6 months and how did you feel? Any experience you can share will be so appreciated.
    Shelly
    Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

I am about 8 months postop. My doctor has released me officially, but there are still a lot of things I cannot do. I don't bend a lot, and I still have numbness in my leg. Just listen to your doctor. I am glad that your fusion is healing good. Keep it up! Linda

Comment

Shelly,

Your pain level will go up and down for quite a while. My whole first year and a half post op I had weeks where the pain seemed worse. Then all of a sudden it didn't seem as bad. Then a few weeks later, here we would go again! Your muscles are having to learn all over how to work properly in your new position. I just past my two year mark and I am still having lots of problems with my muscles being severely contracted. You might also have nerve pain as well plus pain from the soft tissue areas around the hardware. I go through bouts of frustration when I have the rounds of increased pain. It seems like it's a never ending story sometimes. Hang in there, and rest and take it easy when you can.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

For the first surgery, I only started to get good days at the five month mark. After six months it was ok one minute and pain the next, as the curve pulls to come back and there is so much scar tissue left. Plus that's when I did more and the muscle spasms appear. As I didn't have pain meds, I did what I could, but took it easy when I was in too much pain. Swam and walked. It took almost two years to get back to normal. Had one hook taken out at T5. Was pain free for five years after that mostly, until rod broke.

Now I'm six months post revision and I still have pain, but I have again problems in the thoracic area and need more pain management from a pain clinic.

If the pain is not only concentrated in one area, I would think it's not problematic and just healing.
        Last edited by sweetness514; 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I am 8 months post op and feel pretty good. I have pain but comparred to what I had before surgery it's nothing. When I do to much I can tell. The thing that causes my most pain is vacuuming the floors. After I have given my house a good cleaning I have to sit with a heating pad to my back. Moist heat works best for me. Some people on here prefer ice, but that does not help me. Mattie

Comment

7 months tomorrow

I am just about 7 months and I know what you mean about feeling it should be better by now. I've had 5 surgeries previous to this and I just remember being much better by now but I am 35 now instead of 25. My doctors said the fusion looks great and my posture and balance are perfect but I too still have pain. It seems that it is mainly irritation from the hardware. I can feel it inside, my back is like really tight (it's hard to explain) mainly on the right side and I still have tenderness on both hips and pain in my right leg. If I press even lightly on the inside of my right leg and run my finger down it is really sore all the way down to my ankle, like there is a tendon or something that runs the length of my leg, but no one can say what it is from. Anyone else have that? I also will get a burning sensation on the top of my right foot if I cough or move a certain way....it's very strange.

I am allowed to do anything...he said if it hurst don't do it. Very technical advice. I am surprised you are restricted from bending & twisting. I was able to start doing that at 4 months, they encouraged it. Bending all the way to pick something up is still a struggle, and forget about painting my toes!

I take pain pills everyday and a muscle relaxer. I have a very high tolerance for meds (been on them like 10 years) They take the edge off so I can manage daily challenges, like taking care of my two kids. I excercise; spinning class, light weights and aqua class. All in all I am doing pretty good considering the first couple months post op and I look so much better, straight as an arrow

Hang in there, we are strong people and can get through this!
            KML (Kim)
            Kim
            35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
            *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
            *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
            *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
            *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
            *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Comment

Originally posted by KML
              I am allowed to do anything...he said if it hurst don't do it. Very technical advice. I am surprised you are restricted from bending & twisting. I was able to start doing that at 4 months, they encouraged it. Bending all the way to pick something up is still a struggle, and forget about painting my toes!

KML (Kim)
              I also am surprised now that most people on this forum and my new ortho said to not twist or bend TOO much at over three months post op. The first time my then ortho told me it was okay at over three months and said my flexibility could come back like that, and so I was sometimes wondering if bending at that time didn't help my non union, or even created it, along with other things. I guess for now I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I try not to, but man am I not flexible.
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Shelly,

At 6 months I was still in quite a bit of pain at times. I would get so frustrated because I didn't think I was healing fast enough. Please don't do what I did, and compare yourself to how other people heal!!! We all recover differently. I would work myself up into a state of depression because of it.

I thought I was going to be able to do everything by 6 months and when it wasn't happening, I thought what the hell is wrong with me. Don't get discouraged too much, some of us take longer. But it does get better.

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
                  Hi Shelly,

At 6 months I was still in quite a bit of pain at times. I would get so frustrated because I didn't think I was healing fast enough. Please don't do what I did, and compare yourself to how other people heal!!! We all recover differently. I would work myself up into a state of depression because of it.

Shari
                  I completely understand what you mean, and you're certainly not the only one that felt that way. The thing is that's one of the reasons noone can tell anybody before they have surgery exactly what they can expect, we all have our unique experiences. I also believe that not everyone shares all their pains and struggles, as well as victories here or with people IRL. Some are not as open, and that's why I am sometimes shocked to hear at times that certain people I know have had health problems or life struggles of any kind. That's why I believe how sharing can help, one many levels, even on finding new ideas to relieve pain.

Comment

Personally, I was feeling pretty normal at six months. It was at around 7 or 8, I think, when I started getting some pain issues. I know things like this are different for everyone though.
                    Blue Moon

:::I'm a 20 year old named Deanna.
                    :::Posterior spinal fusion T4-L4 on August 3, 2005
                    :::Curves were at 61 upper and 45 lower
                    :::Now at around 20/10 -- YES!

Comment

Sweetness,

I agree with you 100%. This is not one of those snip, snip and zip surgeries. We all have scoliosis, but I don't think any of our backs look exactly alike. We have different Dr.'s, procedures, instrumentation, etc. It's not like getting your gall bladder taken out.

It is much easier to share the good than the bad sometimes. I think we have a really good idea of what each other is going through, but no one knows exactly. And the people that love us, they don't even have a clue what it's like. That's why I think this forum is so comforting.

Shari

Comment

I saw my surgeon at 4 months and he lifted all my restrictions - just told me not to rush at anything and build myself up slowly.

I am 5 months post op now and still get a fair amount of pain - especially in the area where they took my ribs out. I also have a lot of nerve pain in my left leg - pain meds help, but I have no idea when (if ever) that will go.

I guess we are all very different.
                        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all so much for responding to me! It really helps to see how different everyone's experience has been. I know we all heal differently, it is just a little discouraging and frustrating when you want to get back to a normal life and this is holding you back. But I knew going into it that it would be a long hard recovery. But it was worth it for me. I guess the fact that the pain has been worse than before surgery has freaked me out. But then again my back was reconstructed.

I really appreciate all of you, I don't know what I would have done through the last few months with out this forum. Everyone here understands and that is something you don't get from too many people out in the world.

God bless you all!
                          Shelly
                          Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness514
                            For the first surgery, I only started to get good days at the five month mark. After six months it was ok one minute and pain the next, as the curve pulls to come back and there is so much scar tissue left. Plus that's when I did more and the muscle spasms appear. As I didn't have pain meds, I did what I could, but took it easy when I was in too much pain. Swam and walked. It took almost two years to get back to normal. Had one hook taken out at T5. Was pain free for five years after that mostly, until rod broke.

Now I'm six months post revision and I still have pain, but I have again problems in the thoracic area and need more pain management from a pain clinic.

If the pain is not only concentrated in one area, I would think it's not problematic and just healing.
                            sweetness514, you have talked about the pain clinic. Is that something worth getting into? My pain management consists of 6 percocet evey 12 hrs and a stiff muscle relaxer every 4 hours. I seem to get no help with the percoset now and the pain is comming on strong, Should I look into a management program? I have been takeing 6 percocet every 12 hrs for 12 years now, Will they take me off wright away or will i be nursed off the narcodic?I would bet it will be a bitch to clean me up after 12 years.
                            I will ask more in the morning because i am wached i
                            out of my scull with some heavy nitetime drugs,
                            Jess
                            March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                            15 1/2 Hours
                            Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by BackTalk
                              sweetness514, you have talked about the pain clinic. Is that something worth getting into? My pain management consists of 6 percocet evey 12 hrs and a stiff muscle relaxer every 4 hours. I seem to get no help with the percoset now and the pain is comming on strong, Should I look into a management program? I have been takeing 6 percocet every 12 hrs for 12 years now, Will they take me off wright away or will i be nursed off the narcodic?I would bet it will be a bitch to clean me up after 12 years.
                              I will ask more in the morning because i am wached i
                              out of my scull with some heavy nitetime drugs,
                              Jess
                              I think you should ask your ortho about the pain clinic, I know some posters here have mentioned having a doctor that specializes in pain helps much more than our surgeon. That's what I will do now, as my pain is not just from healing surgery anymore. I think in your case you need more time to heal, it's still early but a pain management doctor could help.

Comment

Working...
                              X