PDA

View Full Version : Surgery due in about 6 weeks

kazyn
06-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi all

My name is Karen, I am 22 and am due to have my surgery in about 6 weeks. Does anyone have any advice for me as I am really nervous? After reading through your posts I am a bit more confident, but I am still scared. I think I am most nervous of my bracing afterwards. I will have a stanmore brace for about 6 months.

Kazyn x

LindaRacine
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Hi Kazyn...

I was also really nervous going into surgery. I finally got some drugs for the last few days.

I've never heard of a Stanmore brace, and couldn't find one when I Googled the term, but if it's anything like the TLSO that I wore post-op, it really isn't that bad. I didn't like mine much in the very beginning, but I was used to wearing it after a week, and it really didn't bother me.

Best of luck with your surgery and hope you have a very rapid recovery.

Regards,
Linda

kazyn
06-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Linda

Thankyou for your kind words. It really helps to know that there are others out there who have experienced what I am and have gotten through it fine.

As far as I know the stanmore brace is named after the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stamore, England which is where I am having my op. All I know about it is that it is solid at the back and has a corset type front.

Kazyn x

mattie
06-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi Kazyn, I had to wear a brace also. My first one was uncomfortable at first and I fought with it for 2 months. I knew it did not fit right. Finally they figured out what I thought all along, it was to big because i had lost so much weight. They fitted me with a new one and it was much better. My new one was uncomfortable at first then when I got use to it it wasn't to bad. When I first had my surgery I had to wear my brace 23 hours a day. It was hard to get use to sleeping in it. I believe the Dr. called it a Boston Brace. My brace was 2 pieces, a front shell and a back shell.They fit together and velcroed to each other. After my third surgery I had to be fitted with another brace and it was all one piece and I just pulled it apart and slipped it on and it velcroed together also.After a while of wearing my brace it just became routine like any other item I had to wear. Mattie