Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates

Hi,

Does anyone do pilates? If so does this really help with there back? As i have two curves my top curve is 50 degrees and bottom is 40 - 50 degrees although i don't really get back pain at all. I just want to do some sort of exercise to help losen my back a bit as i do feel a little stiff from time to time.

Thanks in advance
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

I've just started working out more to strengthen my back, and I do pilates. I don't take classes - I just do maybe 5 or so things I've learned from buying the DVD's .

My back feels great after about 2 months of concentrating on strengthening it with light workouts and cardio.

I also get deep tissue massages every few months and that helps loosen me up really well. I also do not have pain but like you, feel stiff and uncomfortable a lot.

Jamie

Comment

I do Pilates too. Sometimes it causes me a lot of pain so I have to stop. Other times I feel like it helps. I just use DVD's. Good luck!
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Pilates??/pain??

Pilates--correctly done--should NOT cause pain. There is a danger of doing it from tapes and not isolating the muscles correctly. I went to a Pilates studio where the instructors have specific training: one does not find that in a gym/spa which "does Pilates".

Joseph Pilates(pronounced "pi' lateez") was a war nurse who developed certain exercises for the war wounded using various resistence equipment. It is a specific exercise disclipline. There are also elements of Yoga employed.

I used Pilates both before and after my revision. I always felt better(I use a personal Pilates trainer). If something hurts afterward then the exercise was either done incorrectly or is not suitable because of pre-existing coditions.
        For example: I cannot do the exercise called "rolling like a ball" because there is no way I can curl into that position fused T-4 to sacrum. This is where a trained Pilates instructor would be helpful; a gym might force you to try it or
        you might foolishly try it on your own.

To find a studio or for more accurate info:www.pilates.com.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
        X