Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery monday-a few questions

Hi everyone.
    Haven't been on here much lately, am usually on the disc replacement website
    Seeing I"m having an artificial disc L4/5 and fusion L3/4, I thought Id ask here how everyone went having to lie on their back and not moving for the first 24 hours? Is this the normal amount of time? It's not something I'd thought of and I don't know how I'll manage as I'm such a restless person. I can't keep still for 5 minutes!
    Also, did anyone get by without having to use their PCA pump?
    Cathy

I had the pump for the first surgery and this last but Morphine doesn't work for me so at some point they gave me meds-first time Codeine and now some Oxyboton(something like that, not Oxycontin though).

Both times I got up on the third day, and in between those days I moved my legs, toes and arms a LOT, especially since the meds didn't work until day three, and I was restless. You can ask the nurse to turn you from time to time, if they don't think to do it.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was so tired I didn't care. I rolled a little and moved as much as I could in bed.
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Hi Cathy,

I too wondered about recovery because I didn't sit still till after 9pm most nights before surgery! The first 2-3 days you are so out of it you will just sleep. So don't worry you won 't be restless till you've been home a week or two! You will be able to turn over if you want and remember they get you out of bed by the 4-5 day usually, some sooner! Good luck to you and one thing to remember it's not as bad as most lead you to believe................

Comment

Sleep

I couldn't sleep at all the first week, too much pain and noise in the hospital but the first day home, Hmmmm...nightie night.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
          X