PDA

View Full Version : surgery monday-a few questions

cathydownunder
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi everyone.
Haven't been on here much lately, am usually on the disc replacement website
Seeing I"m having an artificial disc L4/5 and fusion L3/4, I thought Id ask here how everyone went having to lie on their back and not moving for the first 24 hours? Is this the normal amount of time? It's not something I'd thought of and I don't know how I'll manage as I'm such a restless person. I can't keep still for 5 minutes!
Also, did anyone get by without having to use their PCA pump?
Cathy

sweetness514
06-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I had the pump for the first surgery and this last but Morphine doesn't work for me so at some point they gave me meds-first time Codeine and now some Oxyboton(something like that, not Oxycontin though).

Both times I got up on the third day, and in between those days I moved my legs, toes and arms a LOT, especially since the meds didn't work until day three, and I was restless. You can ask the nurse to turn you from time to time, if they don't think to do it.

summer
06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I was so tired I didn't care. I rolled a little and moved as much as I could in bed.

Suzy
06-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi Cathy,

I too wondered about recovery because I didn't sit still till after 9pm most nights before surgery! The first 2-3 days you are so out of it you will just sleep. So don't worry you won 't be restless till you've been home a week or two! You will be able to turn over if you want and remember they get you out of bed by the 4-5 day usually, some sooner! Good luck to you and one thing to remember it's not as bad as most lead you to believe................

sweetness514
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I couldn't sleep at all the first week, too much pain and noise in the hospital but the first day home, Hmmmm...nightie night. :cool: