View Full Version : Rolling out of Bed

03-11-2004, 01:53 PM
My daughter is having double fusion surgery next month and I just was wondering, is it the whole first year that you have to roll on your side out of bed? I know there is restrictions on bending, twisting, lifting. I just wondered if one can pull themselves out of a recliner or a lounge chair. How long till you can do this on your own or without fear of hurting your spine? If anyone knows and can answer I would really appreciate it! Just one of MANY unanswered questions. Thanks.

03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Hello! I had my spinal fusion three years ago, on my thoracic "C" curve measuring 81 degrees.. L5-T1 when I was seventeen.
I rolled myself onto my side and then pushed myself into a sitting position and then stood up from there..... very slowly for quite some time. Usually the doc says to take it SUPER easy for about a year after the surgery to make sure the fusion has taken. After three years I still use a similar way of getting up, but just faster. If I remember correctly after about three months I pretty much could sit in a recliner and pull myself out...
Now I can do almost anything, except things that require bending my upper body. I've learned to find ways to get things done.. (like picking up a pencil when I drop it...) and work around my limitations.

I hope that answers your question....
All the best,
lisanicole :D

Karen Ocker
03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
What really worked for me was something I learned in Pilates: Tightening my abdomen and butt whenever I moved. It reduced discomfort while stabilizing my healing spine. By tightening I mean isometrically.

03-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess it must get to be second nature to roll and squat down, etc. How soon did you guys get to carry a backpack at school again? I heard that you can't lift more than say, a gallon of milk. Does this restriction last the whole year till the spine fuses? My daughter is having a double fusion. I was wondering if next fall if she would have to use the backpack that is on wheels/with the handle.

03-16-2004, 11:17 AM

The backpack with the wheels and handle is a good idea. I had my surgery while I was in grade twelve, I didn't wear or use a backpack for the rest of the year (I had my surgery in november, went back to school in february)... I still don't really like wearing backpacks. I just carry the book or two that I need to my classes, and leave everything else behind. My limit for a year after the surgery was a can of soup... I didn't always follow that, and when I didn't I did have more backpain.

Hope that helps,
lisanicole :D

03-17-2004, 11:43 PM
My curve was 48 degrees from L2 to T4. I had surgery about 5 weeks ago. I was able to return to school after 1 month and I can carry my backpack fairly easily. I am allowed to change books every period and I have a double set of text books, so that makes my load a little lighter. I also have an elevator pass (my school is four floors).

I don't know how long I'll have to "log roll" for, but I've accidentally jerked up in bed a couple of times and it hasn't caused me any pain or broken my back:D . I'm really much more mobile than I ever could have imagined.

But, everyone has a different curve and different situation so the best idea is to talk to you doctor. Hope I've been helpful!

03-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks both of you for the advice. We will do the double textbook thing too to eliminate the heavy book problem. Since she is having a double fusion from top to bottom I imagine her restrictions will be a bit tougher than some. I don't think carrying a heavy backpack all the time is good for anyone let alone scoliosis kids. Was it hard not being to lift anything above the weight of a can of soup or does it get to be second nature?

03-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Peggy, what is your daughter's curve? Hopefully, she won't have the "can of soup" restriction because most people who are that restricted have a very large curve. After the first two weeks, I gained stability and mobility very quickly. I was lucky enough to have only a single curve, so I imagine it will be a bit more difficult for your daughter because her hips will be affected.

Is your daughter having any ribs removed? Good luck again.

03-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi Charlotte,
My daughter's curve is 60 on top and 36 on the bottom. That was over 2 months ago so it could be worse by now. Yes, she is having ribs removed to fix her rib hump on the right side. I hear that is sometimes more painful than the spine pain. She will be wearing a brace after surgery for a minimum of 6 months too.

03-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi :)
In my opinion, you usually roll over on your side whether you're on the couch, bed, etc. as you're talking about on here, but after a matter of months, you basically FEEL fairly normal again, and I would think most people can get of bed sitting up, or like the previously did before the surgery. I had my surgery back in Nov., and I am getting out of bed normal again, taking showers, driving to school, I just don't carry a backpack either. I had a double set of books for my Calculus book for a while, but this semester we're into Statistics, and it's a paperback book, so it's of course not too heavy. I just don't think you have to continually roll out of bed for up to a YEAR, you're usually probably able to get out of bed normal again after a few months. Just my experiences...have a nice day!

03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I had rib removed as well, but more so to make me a bit more flexible, and the rib bone was used to make the actual fusion material. I AGREE--my side where my rib removed usually hurt more days than my back did, and my surgeon told me my rib might not grow back, we're not sure at the moment...after 4 months, sometimes I still get some pain w/in my side, but a lot of the pain overall w/in my side and back has decreased quite a bit, and as I said in my earlier post, I FEEL fairly normal again...but I still watch what I do because even though one may feel good one day, they're still not 100% "good and normal" again, you know? But yes...the side where the rib is removed often hurts just as much if not more than the back, from my experiences...have a nice day!

03-19-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks Racin2win for the positive messages. I'm glad to see you are getting back to normal. You're smart to be careful and watch what your activities. Does tylenol help when you have a bad day? Or is the pain beyond that? Good Luck with your continued recouperation!

03-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi again Peggy :)
I'll tell you what, as I've mentioned on this board before, I truly just had a HIGH pain tolerance throughout my surgery experiences. I of course was on a type of morphine after surgery, but only on it for a few days. Even when I was home, I took Tylenol for only about the first couple of nights, to help relieve some pain so I could sleep. I have not been on Tylenol or any type of pain medication for months now. Really just depends on the individual. Also, after my dance classes I take a couple of nights a week, I'm really not too sore. Hope I helped ya out some, good luck! :D

03-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I hope my daughter is as lucky as you in regards to pain. She isn't a complainer but neither has she ever dealt with pain this immense. That is what I am most afraid of. Well, besides the surgery itself :(. Is that the pain will be overwhelming. There really is no way to prepare one for that. I can tell her its going to be bad but until you experience it...She hasn't complained once about giving blood or her injections of Procritin so she is being a trooper right now. How did your parents keep you positive right after your surgery? You sound like you have a great attitude.

03-23-2004, 10:44 AM
From what I can tell, if your daughter is already not complaining about just doing the blood donations, she is a trooper! Just tell her to keep up that positive attitude, and coping w/her surgery will be a little bit easier. I know so many people who asked me how I even dealt w/the blood donations, let alone the pain, and if she's already being good about giving blood, as long as she keeps her attitude up, her surgery will hopefully go as well as mine did!
I honestly think I naturally just had a postitive outlook after surgery, b/c there were so many things I couldn't wait to do again, and I still yearn to do. I stay occupied w/other things...post surgery at home can be hard, but her normal routine/time spent at home like she would normally spend it, WILL get back to being almost regular sooner than she thinks. The first week or 2 at home is rough...you think it will stay that way forever, but tell her to TRUST it WON'T! As long as she takes it easy and continues what she's doing now, I think your daughter's experiences will HOPEFULLY be similar to mine. Just my opinion. Good luck :)

03-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks Racin2win. I hope you are right!

03-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I had five ribs removed, and I definately agree that it is the most painful part. My breathing was shallow and infrequent for a while because the muscles between your ribs are weaker without the supporting bones there. Breathing was also painful for a while - I got sharp pain when I took too deep a breath.

As far as medications, I would advise to take as little as you can. The switch from morphine to Tylenol with codine (or another painkiller) can make a big difference. As soon as I stopped the morphine I became more alert and more like myself again. Even taking the tylenol with codine, I had a lot of digestive issues so I went completely off of narcotic pain killers about two weeks after surgery.

Now I just take an occasional tylenol. The whole painkiller issue is probably the best advice I can give. I hope it helps.

03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks Charlotte. I don't know how many ribs they are going to remove for my daughter but I can imagine how painful that must be. I'm not very good on painkillers. I get sick to my stomach and out of it so I hope that my daughter isn't like that. I agree that the quicker she gets off the morphine the better. How long did it take for your breathing to feel better?

03-29-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi Peggy :)
While I was in the hospital, they had me do breathing exercises everyday, maybe 3-4 times each day. It was like this plastic container, with a little attachment (reminded you of a hose-tube-shape) and when I breathed in and out of it, it made this little ball go up and down. Once I was home, I did it for several weeks, at least 3 times a day, and I even did it whenever just because it was just a little container I could breathe into and out of even when I was laying down watching T.V., even though you should do it in more of a sit-up position. One reason this helped my breathing was b/c when I left the hospital, I still had a little bit of fluid on my lungs, and these exercises helped get rid of it. Maybe your daughter will have some little breathing exercises to do while she's in the hospital and at home too. Hope that helps :)

03-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks Racin2win. I've done those breathing exercises before. I'm ready for anything I have to do to get my daughter better post surgery. I just want the day over with. She is still like in denial about the whole thing and doesn't want to come on this board or talk to anyone about it including me. She's like, "I don't want to know anything, let's just get it over with". She doesn't want to go on the tour either but I am taking her because I think it will help her fears after she gets thru with surgery. As the days get closer I am getting more panicky. Am I doing the right thing? Those kind of thoughts. Logically I know we have no choice. But in my heart I am scared. She is my little girl and I am making the decisions for her and I pray to God each day I am making the right one. This board has really helped me. Seeing all the success stories. I know it is hard but just let her get thru it and I will do everything I can to get her thru recovery. Please tell me you didn't hate your mom after the surgery!

03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi again :)
Peggy, you are doing what any NORMAL, CARING, LOVING mother SHOULD do! My surgeons always told my mom at the hospital (jokingly) "You worry TOO much! You're always worrying!" and she replies "WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? ANY NORMAL MOTHER SHOULD WORRY ABOUT THEIR DAUGHTER'S SPINAL FUSION!" Here's a little bit of my story from a few months ago...and the reason my Mom KNEW this spinal fusion was the RIGHT thing to do for me...
-In May 2003, found out I even HAD scoliosis!
-June-met w/surgeon at hospital who we were recommended to
-Date set for August 7th
-Date later changed b/c of scheduling conflicts :( Reset for Aug. 28
-From June to August, my curves progressed so rapidly from 54-64 degrees, that Dr. ordered an MRI
-found something wrong w/my spinal cord that showed up on the MRI
-later referred to a neurosurgeon to see what he thought
-eventually found out I had a tethered spinal cord (which required surgery)
-Sept. 2, 2003-had lumbar laminectomy (correcting spinal cord)
-Date set later for Nov. 13 for the FUSION (finally)
-Curves did not progress anymore from Sept.-Nov. (right before the fusion)
-Nov. 13th-spinal fusion surgery
My mom said during the time of my curve progression and the MRI she had asked God to give her a sign that she was doing the right thing...w/having me go through with this...and when she saw the curve progression on the X-rays and the Dr.'s concern w/it, she knew it was the only way. (Now of course this is just my surgery's experiences) but my point is, if your daughter's curves are probably close to 50+, or if they're continually progressing, something needs to be done. Having this corrective surgery done while she's young will enable her when she's older to hopefully not have to worry about it in the future, or it getting worse, if all goes well. It's amazing how this surgery can positively affect the lives of those it's done on, b/c it can straighten out spines, reduces rib humps, etc. and I PRAY that your daughter gets through the surgery successfully b/c I want her to receive the same benefits I received from the surgery. Going back for that first check-up, and seeing the before and after x-rays are amazing...seeing the difference! Keep telling her to keep her chin up, and I hope she can get on here sometime to talk to someone b/c of course you know this is such a major surgery that has not only physical but emotional impacts on patients and their families, and as long as she is educated on this and keeps a positive attitude, leave the rest up to God and your surgeon...GOOD LUCK :)

03-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks again. Your mom sounds like me. I think all the moms are alike when it comes to worrying about their children and doing the right thing. It is almost as bad emotionally for everyone as it is physically. I will continue to try and get my daughter to come to this board. You guys have helped me so much. I can't thank you enough. I never heard of a correcting spinal cord. Did the fusion fix this too?

03-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi again Peggy :)
The surgery to correct my spinal cord (before they did the fusion surgery) was called a lumbar laminectomy. Basically, my cord was "tethered" which means it was being held down tightly by some fat, etc. and wasn't free to move as a normal spinal cord should. I'm pretty sure it aids in the curvature of scoliosis, so having this tethered cord for who knows how long probably definitely aided in my scoliosis to begin with, even though they still call mine idiopathic scoliosis (no known cause.) It was a 2 hr. procedure, where basically he snipped away at some of the fat, etc., and if my cord bounced back w/a rubberband effect, it was "tethered." Well, it sure WAS! After that was corrected in Sept., my curves did not progress anymore from then till Nov. In Nov., had the fusion. So really, I had some surgery done there on my back even before the actual Nov. spinal fusion. Hope that helps. :)

03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
Going back to the breathing issue. I used the same device as racin2win. Its called a speromater (well. thats how it sounds, I not sure if spelling is correct). My breathing took about a week to get back to normal rate and depth - thats how long I was in the hospital. After that I felt fine, but the pains from breathing in too deeply lasted about another two weeks. Now (almost two months later) I have no breathing difficulty at all.

Besides the speromater, the other thing that helped my breathing was walking. Not matter how much I didn't want to, my Dad made me get up and walk at least three times a day (after the doctor said it was okay and this physical therapist started me off). I think you are making the right decision by pushing your daughter to be prepared for surgery. Everyone needs a little motivation.


03-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks Racin2win. Boy, two surgeries. You are a pro! It just amazes me what you kids went through. Charlotte were you walking 3 times a day in the hospital or was this after you got home? How did your dad motivate you without you hating him for it? I can just see my daughter's face when I make her do this stuff :) I will be the wicked mom of the west I'm sure but I'll do anything to make her better. Did the pain pills help with your rib/breathing pain at all?

03-31-2004, 01:49 PM
I was walking three times a day in the hospital, but only after the fourth day or so. I'm not sure how my dad got me to do it - he was just very positive and encouraging. I was also pretty motivated myself because the nurses said walking would get my digestive system moving again.

After I got home I was so ready to go back to my normal life - I took naps for the first two days, but after that I was up and about all the time. It was hard to get myself to walk and do my physical therapy because two weeks after my surgery I was home alone all day. There was no one to tell me what to do, so that really had to come from within myself. I just kept telling myself that if I wanted to get better, I had to do what the doctor said.

Hope I've helped!

04-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Getting my daughter up and out of bed was one of the more challenging aspects of all this. She was heavily drugged, in pain and connected to all sorts of things. Even the thought of getting her out of bed so early seemed to defy logic. "Mom instinct" wanted to shield her from anything that would hurt her more and getting out of bed the next day after such a massive surgery sure fell into that category in my mind! I really don't think I would have been able to stand by and let the PT and nurses get her up so early if I had not read in so many places that this is the best thing for her. It was one of the most painful parts of the whole thing for me to witness. How I eventually came to cope with the situation and what really proved effective for us was for me to just sort of "take a coffee break" when the physical therapist came to get her out of bed to sit and walk. They are trained professionals and are caring and compassionate but without the emotional involvement that a parent possesses. My daughter is very strong-willed and there were some times when I didn't think she would go along with it, but despite her protests, each time I returned after her PT had left, she had made huge advances in what she could do. They had more confidence in what she could do than either my daughter or I had. This is important to know.

At home, you just have to keep pointing out how much worse they feel if they have slept too much or hung around in one position too long. Peer pressure works wonders, but I suspect will be "too much of a good thing" in the very near future when she starts to feel better and tries to do too much. It is good to put as much routine in her day as possible at home - awaken, come to breakfast, rest, shower, get dressed, rest, watch TV or read, walk laps around the house, up and down stairs, rest, a little outing somewhere, etc. If left to her own devices, mine would completely mix up day and night, which wouldn't bother her too much, but sure makes the parents a bit grouchy!

04-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks Charlotte. You sound like you have a great attitude. I think if I my daughter was alone after two weeks she would never get off the couch! Good for you!

Thanks PaulaSue. I can imagine how difficult it was watching Sarah in pain. You were smart to leave it up to the physical therapist. Guess you just have to take a deep breath and do whats best. My daughter is VERY strong willed too. It will be a battle but I have been harping on the same points (doing what the doctor says, pushing to get better) that I think she'll be ready for me getting tough with her. Not that she is going to like it. :)
Sounds like you have a good plan for keeping a good balance of rest and activity. Is her digestive system back to normal? Good Luck.

04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi, Peggy,

Her digestive system seems to be pretty much back to normal, but her stomach is still just a little bit bloated. Her appetite is not very great, but this is a common side effect of the pain medication I have been told, plus she certainly isn't doing much to burn a lot of calories! We are working our way out of the last of the pain meds, so I hope that resolves the appetite issue. How are you holding up?


04-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Paula,
Thanks for letting me know about the showers. We go on a tour a few days before the surgery so I should find out about our hospital. Sounds like yours was very caring. I'm glad your daughter is getting back on tract. I'm sure when she stop the pain meds that will help immensely. Is she ready to be off them?
I'm hanging in there. Thanks for asking. It just seems like its constantly something...blood donation, nurse coming to give medication, consultations, pre-op tests next week, etc. Now he tells us he wants an MRI when he said he wasn't doing one a few days ago when we met with him:confused: As you remember (and are probably still having them..) you have days where you feel positive and got it together and then boom everything hits you and it is so overwhelming that I just fall apart. Reading postive stories like yours really helps though. Thanks, I appreciate it so much!

04-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Well, if I hadn't been there myself, I probably wouldn't have believed it, but today, exactly two weeks from her surgery, my daughter and I went to the shopping mall, ate our favorite orange chicken dish and had our usual "Will you buy this for me - No, it's too tight" argument. She was REALLY tired afterward, but we spent a couple of hours there, and it was wonderful.

04-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi Paula,
That is the most wonderful message. I almost cried when I read it. That gives me so much hope. I am so happy for you. I pray ours goes that well. Congrats on your first mall trip. And I'm glad she got rid of her headaches.

04-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Hi, Peggy,

Just wondered how things are going with you...what is the date of your daughter's surgery?

You had asked about pain management. Something I wish I had done before my daughter's surgery is try to explain the mental component of pain - how fear of the pain can intensify it. If you have had any Lamaze-type training - that is what I am talking about - breathing exercise, focal point, etc. Trying to do that in the hospital when she was in pain was totally ineffective, and I think would have been a really valuable tool to have come in with. Tell her she will feel like she has been hit by a truck at first but she has to HAVE FAITH THAT IT WILL GET BETTER AND BETTER. A nurse in the hospital told me that from her observations with these surgeries, the kids all "have a hump to get over" at first when recovery seems stalled, but once they get past that, recovery comes quite fast. That was our experience, too.

04-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Paula,
Her surgery is the 15th. Thanks for asking. As you can imagine I am in the full terror mode right now. A few questions for you again. How many days was it till your daughter got over the "hump"? Did the pain come in flashes or was it constant? Did the nurses give you any idea of how to work through it? I've tried to warn her but I know she has no clue about how painful it will be. How is your daughter doing at her 3 week mark? Hope everything is coming along well. Thanks.

04-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Peggy and Paulasue,
About the "hump" - I think I took until sunday to finally feel better - thats four days after surgery. My pain was pretty constant, but at different levels. When they rolled me (every two hours) the pain was really bad, but after that it settled down and I was fairly comfortable until I was rolled again.

Good luck Peggy - I know your surgery is soon, so try to stay upbeat. And Paulasue, good luck with your daughter's recovery.

04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi, Peggy,

I would say that it took about four days for us to "get there." I think this would have come sooner if she hadn't developed the digestive issues because that came with its own share of pain that just compounded the problem. Some kids are ready to go home by the fourth day, so there is just no way of telling how this will go.

My daughter was heavily medicated at first, and this took care of much of the pain most of the time. She only cried once and that was as much from frustration as pain. There was never any screaming or groaning (but plenty of complaining!). When the morphine would begin to wear off (she had a button that she could push every 15 (?) minutes to self-medicate), she would begin to feel it. When there would be particular episodes were right after she had to be moved to a different position. It would always take about 10 minutes for her to "settle" into the new position, and she would be very uncomfortable during that time. This is the time that the deep breathing and trying to take her mind to a different place would have been helpful, because she always did ultimately get comfortable again - it just required a bit of time. Be prepared to become an expert at "pillow stuffing" - behind her back, under her leg, just right under her head - these are the things that bring the comfort. There was a doctor that came every morning whose only purpose was pain control - she talked with Sarah asking how she rated her pain, what was working, what she needed help with, etc., and adjusted things accordingly. I don't remember the nurses adding anything to this, but they were always very compassionate and responsive. Remember it is only really intense for a few days, and there is lots of pain medication available.

At three weeks, things are going very well. She went for her first check up on Monday and found out her correction - she was 63/50 and is now 27/15! Her incision is nearly healed and the only thing she can't do on her own is bend over at the waist and dry her hair upside down (they aren't supposed to bend there yet). So she bends over at the hips and supports herself with her hands on a table, and I hold the hair dryer. She takes two Tylenol a couple of times a day for pain when she needs it, which is not all the time. She doesn't have to have any particular pillow arrangement for comfort now in bed - is back to sleeping on her stomach again. She is going to a movie with some friends tonight ,and she is probably going to start back to school half days on Monday. She still doesn't have a ton of endurance, but is bored out of her mind at home now. I think we are entering the phase where holding her back is the bigger problem! She has begun to pester me for the car keys again. Oh, well, it was nice while it lasted...

Keep telling your daughter that she is strong and will weather this well and be even stronger when it is over. Hope this helps!

04-10-2004, 01:26 AM
I am constantly amazed by how similar your experience and your daughter's is to mine. Its all so similar, which is particularly surprising because I have heard of some surgeries on this board where the outcome is so different.

How old is your daughter? If shes asking for the car keys it makes me think shes about my age.

I'm really excited about going to my stable tomorrw. I can't ride, but being around my friends (human and horse) is so much fun - I'm glad that I can still be a part of the riding experience. I'm also hoping to get a job as an instructor this summer. Wish me luck...

04-10-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi, Charlotte,

My daughter is almost 17. I agree with you about how amazingly similar your experiences with the surgery have been. I was so happy to hear that you are going back to the stables again - you must be absolutely thrilled. It must feel wonderful to be re-entering a world that you love so much. I am sure you will get that instructor's job - you have an additional strength of character now that will always serve you well and anyone would be lucky to have you as an employee. So, instead of wishing you luck, I will say "congratulations" on landing that great job!!


04-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Thank you Paulasue. You are such a sweet person - your daughter is lucky to have a great mom like you.

04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear both Sarah and Charlotte are returning to normal lives. I can't believe Sarah is going back to school already! Isn't that super fast for a double fusion? You guys give me hope! I can only pray that my daughter recovers that well. We went on the hospital tour and that was really tough on her. Overwhelming and scary. It is the first time in all these months that she broke down. She has kept it all inside and not complained at all but the 13 year old came out in her. I felt so helpless. They said she may be in intensive care 4 days and on the ventilator 2 which is more than I hoped. But am trying to stay positive. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate it so much. Good Luck at the stables Charlotte. Good Luck to Sarah returning to school.:)

04-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Thank you, Charlotte!

Peggy - I am so sorry things went badly during your hospital visit. I think that is about the time I went on "auto pilot" emotionally. The good news is that this is one of the dreaded things on the "list" that you have now survived. Try to stay calm, focused and positive, and soon all of those dreaded things will be behind you.

Sarah went to open tutoring sessions at school on Monday and Tuesday to get caught up in her math class, and then is going back Wednesday for a half day, and Thursday full-time. We took advantage of her being up and about on Monday and Tuesday and visited a court in session (she wants to be a lawyer and wanted to see some "live action"). She was able to tolerate sitting on those hard benches for several hours each day, so we hope that those awful plastic molded school seats will be OK, too. Thursday will be the end of her fourth week out from school and was what her doctor told her would probably be the time out (although he gave her a note which allowed her to be out six weeks), so that is about what we were expecting. I am really happy about the rate of her recovery and more than a little astonished by it. At the end of about two weeks there was a noticeable improvement - like another milestone of some sort had been reached. I have read from other posts that this is a pretty common occurrence. She was out with friends most of last weekend, so that pretty much put an end to any argument about getting back to school!

One step at a time...


04-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Your daughter is doing amazingly well. So happy for you! Well we go tomorrow the 14th. My daughter has a slight sore throat so they are going to check her in the morning and decide if it is a go or not. :( I'm terrified of tomorrow but I'm more afraid of delaying it. Her curve is really stiff at the bottom and if it gets delayed I'm afraid that they will have to do two surgeries, the first one thru the stomach. Plus she would have to do the blood donation all over again. Just want this over with and her safe. Please keep her in your prayers tomorrow. Thanks for everyones help.

P.S. I will let yiou know if it gets delayed. If not hopefully I can write back in around 8 days with all this behind us and recovery on the way.

04-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Sorry. The surgery is the 15th.:confused:

04-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi, Peggy,

I just wanted to let you know that you and your daughter have been in my thoughts and prayers. Please post how you two are doing as soon as you feel up to it.


04-22-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi peggy, I just read the posts in this thread. I hope your daughter is doing okay. I had my surgery when I was 13. It was abot the same as the others that have posted, but I had 2 surgeries because I had kyphosis too.

For those who were wondering, once you get used to log rolling out of bed, you do it most of the time. I'm 28 now and I still log roll to get out of bed. I don't log roll into bed anymore though. I also "hinge" at the waist instead of bend with the spine. I was a big baby with my pain in the hospital! but after the 1st month it gets a great deal better. Actually, the 1st couple of weeks were the worst and it got better from there.

Right now I'm still mostly straight and have very little back problems. I am overweight and that makes my low back ache, so do what the doctor says and don't gain weight!!!! Also, do the excercises. I'd be happy to share my experiences with anyone who wants to talk to someone whos been through it all.