Had doc appt Thurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had doc appt Thurs

This is my 2nd opinion. I am seeing Dr. Shelokov in Plano, Texas. My 1st appt was with Eric his PA. I am so impressed with the compassion and caring attitudes of the staff esp. Eric. He was very candid with me explaining in detail everything. I am 63 so it will be a rough go but I feel comfortable in knowing they will do the best possible to keep my pain to a minimum. Surgery will not be until Nov or Dec. First comes the series of tests. One being a mylogram. Anyone had one of those? The operation will be to make an incision in my abdomin from naval to pelvic bone and remove 3 discs. Next they will make an incision under my right bottom rib and remove 6 disc. They will also take bone graft material from my right hip. Then the usual slicing of the back and carpentry work on 9 vertebra. One day in ICU, 5 days in the hospital and then over to the Baylor rehab in Dallas for 7 days. After that I will do any long term rehab at Baylor Grapevine where I live. He said I would be able to drive short little trips by 4 weeks which I though was pretty darn quick but encourging. Marcia how was your visit with the doc in Houston. I really am totally at ease concerning Dr. Shelokov.

Linda

58 degrees
    fusion T10 to S1

Hi Linda,
    The difference in my visits between the two doctors was like night and day.

I had all the same experiences with Shelokov's office and felt like I was a person who they were concerned about. I have also called 5 of his most difficult patients and all of them gave extremely positive reports of his surgery and their recovery.

My visit with the doctor here was ok. I felt like he was extremely confident about his abilities, but didn't get the feeling that he cared one way or the other whether he helped me. It would be so much easier to have it here in Houston. I am a little confused about what to do. He recommended a similar surgery but would do it in two days versus the one day Shelokov would do it.

I am really dreading the myleogram that Shelokov requires also. He is one of the few who requires it from what I read here. Dr. Hansen just requires a MRI

Comment

I had a mylogram before my surgery. It was uncomfortable but mine did not hurt. I laid where I could see the screen and watch the Dr. put the needle in.
      They numbed me real good before hand. Then before my surgery I had a lot of things to do. My Dr. required me to see a pulmonary Dr, a cardiologist, my family Dr, a mylogram, lots of different x-rays, and a MRI. I think that was it besides all the different tubes of blood I had drawn. I was about 3 months getting all this stuff done. After he got all the reports back then he scheduled my surgery.
      Hope this doesn't worry you but hope it helps...... Mattie

Comment

Thanks Mattie. Marcia, I talked to Treva, the nurse who sets all the appts and I ask her about the mylogram. She said I would have something to make me drowsy and that the most uncomfortable thing is the having to lay there--especially since you have to be off your meds for the procedure. I got the idea like Mattie said it isn't painful from the injection but from having to lie still so long. I have to have my bone density test before anything else and my primary is doing that on the 13th. Like I said in my last post, they are such compassionate people that they have truly put me at ease. I know it's going to be a hard thing to go thru but if I have to do it at least I know I have one of the very best. I know you will make the right decision for your situation also. God bless, Linda

Comment

Marcia,

I went to Dr. Hansen and had to have a myleogram. I think it just depends on your situation. My procedure (the myleogram) went fine and wasn't painful. HOWEVER, I did not stay in bed long enough (only one day) and my "incision" (hole) did not heal. I had a headache that I thought would kill me. I had to go back in for a blood patch to seal up the "hole". Basically, spinal fluid was leaking causing the headache. Stay in bed for as long as they say!

My next appt with Dr. Hanson is on Aug 15th. When I went last time I really felt like they could care less about my pain. I am going to give hiim another shot before I travel to Plano or Amarillo. You would think with the Med Center here in Houston there would be more than one Dr. specializing in this area.
          Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Mocity,
            I know you what mean about being in one of the world's best medical centers right here in Houston and we can't find the best help here. It is so frustrating.

I'm still really nervous about the myleogram. I will have all that day and night to recover but will need to ride all the way back to Houston from Plano the next day. I hope I am able to escape the dreaded headache. Being a migraine sufferer, I don't want to have to deal with one that I can't take medication for! I wish I could get the myleogram here in Houston so I could spend the day in my own bed and not face a long drive home.

Comment

Why can't you have it done here??? There are places all over Houston that do them. I had mine done at River Oaks Imaging. I think you need to lay pretty flat for 2 days.
              Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

I was able to have my myelogram in Fort Worth instead of Plano due to my particular insurance coverage. It might be worth asking the office if you could have it closer to your home. I had a good experience--very little pain, even had a great lunch afterwards in the Recovery Room, and went home after a few hours (laid down on the car ride home), rested, and went to work a 12-hour shift the next day. I hope anyone having a myelogram has a good experience. Now, my discogram was a whole different experience because my lower discs were described as being "shot" and thus it hurt!

Comment

I just thought of another option. There are lots of places to stay near Baylor Plano--we stayed at one that was $49 a night and had a kitchen--Dr. Shelokov's office may have a good list for you or you could check the internet for places on Plano Parkway, etc. near the hospital. I've drawn a blank on the one we stayed at but we stayed there the night before my surgery and then my husband stayed there for the first week after my surgery. It was on Plano Parkway.

Comment

We are staying at a hotel about 2 minutes away from Plano Baylor Hospital. My myleogram is on Friday morning. We have made plans to stay over and take my son and his girlfriend out on Saturday night for dinner and to celebrate his 26th birthday. I am hoping that I will be able to do that without a headache or other complications. Some of the places I read from say I should lay still for 48 hours! That would be a problem for sure.

The hotel is a Marriott I believe and we got a "medical" rate of about $50 per night. They have an agreement with Dr. Shelokov.

I just hate the fact that we have to be away from home and leaving our dogs an extra two days because of the myleogram.

I still might consider your suggestion, Judy, about seeing if I can have it near home.
                    Last edited by Marcia; 07-19-2006, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Marcia,

Check and see about having it in Houston. When I had mine (here in Houston) they gave me a whole list of places I could have it at. I don't see why you would have to travel to Plano for that test.

Comment

I just emailed Treva and got an answer back very quickly.

She said," We really prefer you not too. Sometimes the quality isnt that good or the radiologists don’t have as much experience w/ scoliosis patients. We actually have had many problems in the past w/ other facilities. I’m sorry."

So, guess I have no choice. Oh well.......I want the best experienced doctor's with scoliosis I can get and they seem very concerned that everything be the best, so will just spend more time in Plano to be sure.

Comment

Well, that stinks and I don't really believe that. It is just a test basically and Houston has world famous medical center. All that this entails is a imaging facility. My guess is that some way they are making more money with having you go to the facility of their choice. I was given a whole list of places I could go.

Comment

Mocity

I do not believe that Dr Shelokov is just looking for the bucks on this. The staff there seems very protective and concerned about their patients. The more control they have over your entire experience the better prepared they are to address any problems. Since I live in the area my primary has done all of my tests except the mylogram. He also is a doctor in the Baylor system but Dr Shelokov's people will be doing my mylogram also. I found out when I was diagnosed with breast cancer that having everything at one vacility provides for better care and less conflicting reports. I am very much at easy with their procedures but then I am not traveling long distances to get it done.

Linda G.

Comment

I was just stating my opinion. I too have had many, many tests such as this one but always had options on where to go. Typically, they have a listing of facilities they use and that they are comfortable with.

Comment

Working...
                              X