Leg pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg pain

I've been trying to be active this summer and just haven't been able to manage it. Also, I've been developing new symptoms, especially leg pain at night -- down the front of my legs, around my shins -- when I'm trying to sleep. I assume this is nerve pain? It happens when I'm lying on either side, and sometimes even on my back. Sometimes I feel a bit panicky about this.

However, the good part about it is, the more pain I have and the more symptoms I develop, the less afraid I am to have the surgery. I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Boachie on August 30th and will likely set a surgery date then. I have a glimpse of what the future holds if I don't have surgery and I think I'd rather take my chances on trying to get it fixed.

Plus, since I measure just under four-ten these days, I don't want to shrink anymore!!

Just wanted to vent
    Chris
    Last edited by Singer; 06-26-2006, 08:30 AM.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

My leg pain is what made me go to the doctor. I knew it was related to my scoliosis even though I actually had a doctor tell me it wasn't. This led to more mri's and xrays and therapy and chiropractors. Nothing helps me unfortunately so I have decided to have surgery.
    Good luck with your pain. Hope tou get some kind of relief. Chronic pain is a B****!
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

It was the leg pain that sent me to the orthopedic for help also. I was always able to deal with the scoliosis pain until this and hadn't even had an Xray since nearly 40 years ago when they told me I could throw away my Milwaukee brace.

I wish the leg pain (siatic nerve) had started many years ago and then maybe I wouldn't be facing T2-S1 surgery at the age of 57. It would have been a lot easier surgery at a younger age, plus not nearly the severity of the curve that it is now.

I have lost 4 inches in height also.....so I know what you mean about losing inches.
      Last edited by Marcia; 06-26-2006, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Hi Marcia, wow -- that's a long fusion. Mine will be from around T10 to L5 or S1, depending on the results of a discogram I'm supposed to have.

I know what you mean about facing this in our 50s. However -- in my case, pain and limitation (and fear of ending up a genuine dwarf!!!!!!) are the motivators I needed to push aside some of my fear and dread of the surgery.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Leg pain

I also had a lot in the months prior to surgery, and after I had it on and off, so the surgery in my case did help. What helped me more lately is putting a pillow under knees while on my back and in between knees while sleeping on the side, plus sitting in good chairs and not low couches.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I go to sleep with my son's old Pokemon comforter rolled between my legs. That will get me half a nights sleep. Hopefully after surgery It will be a full night. My doctor asked me which pain was worse, the leg or the back, but I couldn't really answer. I told him they take turns.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
            X