Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are my chances to pass my scoliosis on to my children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are my chances to pass my scoliosis on to my children?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what are the chances of passing my scoliosis down to my children? My husband and I are planning on starting a family next year after I recover from my surgery in August.
    Scoliosis did not run in my family and I was the only one diagnosed with it. I know that the chances of me passing it on is greater and also i did hear that it is greater in a girl.
    If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Sarah
    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

In some cases Scoliosis has been known to pass down in generations, my doctor thinks that mine was from my Mum's cousin who had Sherman's Disease which is a form of scoliosis. He also said that it could be likely that my children could have it but not very likely. When you do plan on having children keep an eye on them to make sure that they don't have Scoliosis as it is easier to be treated at a younger age.

Good luck.
    Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
    Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
    Started Hospital examination - June 2003
    Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Have children checked

My orthopedic surgeon that if my sister and I were to have female children, to bring them in for screening at age 4 even if we couldn't see any outward sign of scoliosis, congenital or otherwise. My mother has scoliosis, and so do I.

Comment

When my children were little I never worried about them getting scoliosis but as my daughter got older-shes now 12 I always had a funny feeling about her getting it-shes so much like me in every way.
        The past 2 years I started looking at her back and got very worried about her protruding shoulder blades-was told this is because she is so slim.Then during the past summer I noticed one shoulder blade had dropped-then I knew she had it.She was diagnosed last week and has a small curve.I am hoping PT will help at the moment.
        My son who is 16 is ok though.
        My advice would be to check as much as you can.My mum never did and I was diagnosed at 22 by the lady taking my xray-which is proof enough that you HAVE to keep checking your childs back.
        Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I was the only one in my family to have scoliosis. My oldest daughter had a slight curve that she out grew when she was around 12. My youngest daughter developed it at 13 and had surgery at 14. Why did I get it and not my sisters - we don't know. Why did my younger daughter get it and not my older daughter? There just isn't enough research on it. I was the first in my extended family to ever have it. None of my cousins, aunt, uncles, grandparents, etc. ever had it.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

The scoliosis I have was a birth defect.....congenital scoliosis. My mother had another daughter 3 years before me who died minutes after birth. The baby had anencephaly (born without a brain and scalp), another birth defect. I asked my gynecologist about chances of my having a child with a birth defect. He told me that birth defects like this were not hereditary, but that with my type of scoliosis it would be difficult to carry a child for the full 9 months. In any case, I never did have a child in my lifetime. It was not something that would have been good for me or for the child.
            TIMING IS EVERYTHING!

Comment

Originally posted by bluestone View Post
              When my children were little I never worried about them getting scoliosis but as my daughter got older-shes now 12 I always had a funny feeling about her getting it-shes so much like me in every way.
              The past 2 years I started looking at her back and got very worried about her protruding shoulder blades-was told this is because she is so slim.Then during the past summer I noticed one shoulder blade had dropped-then I knew she had it.She was diagnosed last week and has a small curve.I am hoping PT will help at the moment.
              My son who is 16 is ok though.
              My advice would be to check as much as you can.My mum never did and I was diagnosed at 22 by the lady taking my xray-which is proof enough that you HAVE to keep checking your childs back.

Now I have just found out that my uncle has it!
              We havent seen him for years but his twin brother visited my mom christmas eve (coincidence that I am a twin also!).
              He said that he has had 2 operations-he is now 60, he also said he doesnt get around very well which kinda worries me about my future when I hear that.
              Anyway I have his phone number and I am going to call him and we can have a chat.
              Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

My grandmother had scoliosis, but it must have been mild because it wasn't obvious and to the best of my knowledge, she was never treated for it. But it was known in the family that she had it.

My two daughters don't have it but I have three grandaughters, the eldest just turned four. I find myself looking for signs.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I recently took part in some testing by a company called Axial Biotech to help them figure out the genetic component of scoliosis (I have severe scoliosis, corrected mostly with surgery, my sister has a mild case, and both my mother and grandmother have mild but noticeable cases of it), and it looks like they're in the process of releasing a genetic test for consumers:
                  http://www.news-medical.net/?id=43969

Not sure what exactly the test will tell you, but it might be something you should ask your doctor about or look into.

Comment

See my post in "Surgical - first time" pregnancy. I just posted that tonight and it has my experience with that question in it.
                    Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                    Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                    Age 54
                    T10 to Sacrum
                    Curve 65 degrees
                    Very straight now!!!

Comment

Didn't happen with my family...

I have three daughters who are now young adults (23-30) and none of them have scoliosis...
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I don't think anyone knows yet

I think it's just one of those things that there are so many factors that nobody knows for sure.

For example, I knew we had a pretty good chance because my DH has scoliosis, his dad has scoliosis, his dad's sister has scoliosis BUT his dad's OTHER sister did not. My DH's sister does NOT have it, so there is no way to know why one got scoliosis and the other didn't.

Now...as far as I know, nobody on my side of the family has it but ?? I think a lot more people have scoliosis than we are aware. Not everyone has it severe enough to do anything about it other than just be aware they have it. It seems like everyone I talk to knows at least 1 if not 2 or 3 people that have scoliosis in varying degrees.

I have 4 kids -- as of right now, the only one that has scoliosis is my DD and hers didn't show up until her 6th grade physical. It hasn't stopped her yet. She has been doing gymnastics/cheerleading for years. Now, she will have surgery and that will stop her gymnastics but she was wanting to quit anyway (I forced her to do it this year as her Freshman year in HS just so she gave it a try as that had been her goal since she was younger to be on the HS team!)

It is possible to pass it on but even if you do, will it only be a 10 degree curve or will it be more? Nobody knows. My DH has never had anything done about his scoliosis, never wore a brace (too late by the time they found it), didn't have surgery & isn't considering it at this point. It just is there.

I wish you the best on starting your family.
                        Becky
                        Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
                        Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Working...
                        X