Another Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Question

I have so many. I am keeping track of them for my surgeon when I go back. My question is, when do you know if you have to wear a brace after surgery? I really didn't know this was even a possibilityuntil reading some of the posts. I am 38 and it is bringing horrible flashbacks of having to wear my boston brace in junior high.
    How many of you wore a brace religously? I ditched mine as often as possible. I moved when I started high school and just refused to wear it to school.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    PS I am much less vain now, Just want to be pain free.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

hey Dawney---I just assumed I would have to wear one after surgery from hearing about it from other patients of my Dr. (Boachie) It sounds like it is meant as a reminder not to bend or twist & for support.............Ly
    it will be hot in August........

Comment

Brace after surgery

Hi Dawney,

Ask your Dr. I did not have to wear a brace of any type. I am fused from T10 to L4. My Dr. said "you have an internal brace." I think different Drs. do what they think is best, and it might depend on the extent of your surgery or maybe how in shape you are? Not sure, but I was sure glad to hear I didn't need one. Trust me you won't need one to remind yourself to not twist or bend, it's on your mind all the time! Best wishes.

Comment

It depends on the doctor. I didn't wear any but a soft one for the first surgery.

I wore my Boston brace religiously between 13 and 15 when I was not sexy or feminine at all (I was pretty wild and on the punkrocker side), so it was covered under my loose clothes an jackets, but when I hit 16 I started to ditch it sometimes, as I started wearing more tight fitting clothes and was sick of the pain it gave me, so I know what you mean.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Dawney,

I wore the Milwakee brace in 1972 through approx. 1976, (I think?) and I also got out of it as often as I could. Especially at school, my 3rd period class was near my locker and I would go to the restroom and take it off and put it in the locker. There was no way to hide that brace in clothing because the back 2 bars stuck out so far. I never minded the rest of it, but everyone called me the hunchback.

I found out that I had to wear the turtle shell brace when my doctor told me exactly what the surgery was going to entail. I made the mistake of not having it properly fitted before I left the hospital and it made for a miserable first 2 months. I only took it off to take a shower. I think I was in it for approx. 4 months.

Shari
          Last edited by Shari; 06-24-2006, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Dawney,

I didn't have any bracing after any of the surgeries.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I had to wear my hard plastic brace for 6 months, the whole time unless I was lying down. Unpleasant at first, though it did make me feel a bit safer, as though it was holding me together. By the end of the 6 months I was sorry to see it go because I still had a lot of pain, and I miss it sometimes now for the support it gave me (threw it out when I finally got rid of it). It wasn't very evident under loose clothing unless someone hugged me!

Comment

Like Suzy, i didn't have to wear a brace of any kind either. My dr. also said that with all the instrumentation that i wouldn't need one. Sure was relieved, but hope it was the right decision.

Comment

I was initally told that I had to wear it for 3 months. One day while still in the hospital, my surgeon told me I was going downstairs for x-rays and that he did not want me to wear it. I looked at him as if he had suddenly grown 5 heads! I started to say, "but what if" and he stopped me and said, "You'll be fine. You won't get hurt without it."

From then on, I wore it only when I was out of bed and walking around alot. After 3 weeks, I hardly wore it at all except for trips outside of the house. If I went out in public, I wore it if for no other reason than to 'protect' my back. At my 7 week appt. my surgeon asked if I was ready to put it away for good....I was shocked and said, "I think I'll wear it home one last time"....I had a 45 minute drive and was a little worried about how I would feel driving without it....I got home, put it in the basement and haven't looked back!

Comment

Working...
                  X