sleeping arrangements..hospital bed??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sleeping arrangements..hospital bed??

My husband is a light sleeper & I was planning on one of us sleeping downstairs for the first week or so.. I just want him to be ok for work & all. I thought I would get a hospital bed for a mth or so but I'm wondering if we can make due with rooms/beds we have. I suppose I could double the boys up(7&10) in one room, older boy has queen bed for a bit & take younger ones room... I suppose I'll be up some nights what with sleeping during the day???
    I know some people slept separate for a bit & some did'nt....?? thks, Lynne

My boyfriend and I were able to sleep comfortably together in our queen size bed since my first day home. We're both very calm sleepers. Everyone is different though.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

I'm pretty small (100 lbs) and my husband is twice my size and for the first few nights, I would wake up in the morning with pain on my right side (the side he sleeps on). I realized that when he slept in the bed, I would get the pain, when I was in bed without him, I wouldn't. Apparently, his being heavier than me was causing the mattress to lean towards him during the night, straining my back. He spent a few nights sleeping on couch cushions on the floor of our bedroom (he was afraid to leave me alone) and the remainder of two weeks sleeping in the room next to ours. We used two-way radios to communicate during the night (basically, it was me calling him to give me my medication). It was probably more extreme than what most people experience and something that neither of us thought about beforehand.

Comment

Is a Hospital Bed needed?

I had surgery in March and, like you, considered getting a hospital bed. I didn't, figuring I could order when I got home, if needed. I managed to sleep just fine with my husband in our King-size bed right from day one on getting home. My husband did stay over night with me the first night in the hospital to make sure I was okay ... it was a comfort, although his sleeping arrangements were not very comfortable (a recliner). Good luck to you both!
        Florida Judy

Comment

thks all...
          I sure wish I had a king size bed! we have queen & not a very large bedroom for a king... I guess I'll decide about the hospital bed when I get discharged & see how I'm doing. thks Ly

Comment

We have a standard sized bed and did just fine and although hubby did consider moving in to the spare room we found that there wasn't a problem (and he's a pretty light sleeper). By the time I got to bed I was usually so pooped that I slept through or just woke up to take pills and then straight back to sleep.

We *did* have to swap sides on the bed though as I was (and still am) only able to turn one way and so couldn't get out of bed on the normal side. In fact, I am still sleeping on 'his' side of the bed and can't see it changing for a while (if ever!)

We were fairly aware before discharge from hospital what we would need from how I was feeling at that point so it may be worth waiting on this one (if you can).
            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

about the hospital bed

I would definatly look into getting the hospital bed if possible. My insurance covered the cost of the bed for a month " $180.00". At first I thought I wouldn't need it and I would would be fine. But one night and one night only was enough to prove me wrong. I had the bed delivered the next day. The bed is not very big and doesn't take up my room it is a twin size bed and fits alost anyhere. I would recommend talking with your hospital home care and have something set up just incase you feel you might need one. You can go home without it but it's good to know it's there if you need it.

Stephanie...............
              Stephanie
              T11 to L3
              1 rib removed
              June 5, 2006

Comment

My surgeon told me I wouldn't need a hospital bed. Hindsight, I probably would have gotten one, but chose to get a lift chair instead...what a god send to have something I could actually sit in, get in and out of without help and even sleep in. I'm guessing my surgeon probably knew I would get too dependent on the extra help of the electric bed. I was unable to get in and out of the bed without help from my husband. I just couldn't swing my legs up while lowering my torso so I could log roll. My husband had to lift my legs for me. I was just too weak. We never considered sleeping in seperate beds, because I woke up EVERY 2 hrs. almost to the minute in pain from sleeping on my side. He would help me out of the bed and take me to the other side, lift my legs so I could get in and logroll to the other side. Then he would get in on my side. My poor husband....he was awaken every 2 hrs to play musical bed sides for weeks! But I got stronger and could eventually do it on my own. Everyone is different...I was 99 lbs and 40+ years old and this surgery had me extremely fatigued.

Kindest Regards,
                Gail

Comment

Working...
                X