Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior or Posterior

Hi,

Just wondering whats the difference between anterior and posterior?

Also why do some get one and some get the other?

What are people's thoughts on where they would rather be done?

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi Leelee...

It's USUALLY a function of what the surgeon prefers and what the patient's condition requires. In adults, especially older adults, the surgeon often needs to perform surgery on both the front (anterior) and back (posterior) of the spine because the spine is not very flexible. So, in that case, the surgeon can remove discs from the front of the spine, greatly increasing the flexibility and therefore giving the surgeon the ability to get much better correction.

There have been dozens of studies comparing methods, but there's nothing definitive in the way of proof that one works better than the other.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It was my surgeon's decision and I trusted him. If you can get away with just posterior, I think that's best. Only because my abs are my core and I lost all my ab strength. My stomach is still bloated as well. My friend said the same side effects happened to her after a C-Section. A C-Section recovers faster though.
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Working...
      X