Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-_-, how long does it take for curve to go down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -_-, how long does it take for curve to go down?

I got my brace two weeks ago with a 26-27 curve, and now my curve is 7-15. I've only been wearing it for 14 hours a day though...The doctors said it would take about a month. At this rate, when do you think I can stop wearing this thing at all?

~Imrahil, the guy

Hi:

That's a wonderful result for you. Fabulous to see the brace working so well, and good on you for being conscientious about using it.

My understanding is that people need to wear the brace until they reach skeletal maturity (i.e. they are finished growing). This varies a lot from person to person, but for girls it averages around age 16. Men continue to grow longer. I have read about cases where a man needed the brace until he was 19.

Your doctor can tell from looking at your x-rays approximately how much skeletal growth you still have to go. For example, our doctor tells my daughter (who is 12) that she has at least four years of growth left, and she should expect to need the brace for at least that long. She is not too thrilled about this. When you are 12, four years is an incomprehensible amount of time. However, in just the three months she has been in the brace, she has really gotten used to it. It's now more of an occasional annoyance than a big crisis. If she has to go four years, we believe she can do it.

Cheers - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

that is interessting

are the resulst without the brace when yes how old are you and where did you get this good brace,
      Last edited by Bosnian; 03-31-2004, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X