Are These Post Op Issues Normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These Post Op Issues Normal??

Okay, I just recently had surgery so I don't really know anything that will happen Post Op because I was never told anything.. Anyhoo I was wondering if any of these things are normal that I am having post op:

- ive been on my period for 15 days..( I had it June 5...2 days before surgery)
    - my back is cracking alot...everytime i move around in bed its just crack crack crack..gets annoying really...
    - im not completely straight...my spine is but i sort of lean to one side...something i didnt do before...
    - increased trips to the bathroom...(ive been going more times a day to the bathroom for #1)...
    - increased thirst?...lately ive had more of an urge to drink lots of water..
    - oh and stomachaches...and
    - headaches...
    - ah...extreme heat flashes...

i guess these are about it and i was wondering if they were normal or i have to see a doctor or something?
    ~Wanda~
    40TL curve pre op
    Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
    San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
    June 7, 2006
    post op curve: 16

Okay, I asked my Mom about this stuff and she said the following: Your period is fine, so long as it's not TOO heavy. About the spine cracking: Talk to your doctor about that. The hot flashes are normal, but any questions you have you should really ask your doctor, he'll know alot better about this stuff.
    16 - Male - New York
    Freshly Fused by Dr. Peter Masso in Shriners, Springfield, Mass.
    Yes, a male with scoliosis, we exist. Brother had scoli, fused in 2001 by Masso, same hospital.

Comment

Hello ScoliGal,

My doctor told me the followings were red flags after surgery:

Wound drainage should not get worse and show signs of redness
      Fever first several days should be <101 F
      Progressive leg pain(some normal) but shouldn't get worse
      Progressive numbness
      Progressive cluminess
      Progressive loss of bladder
      Progressive loss of bowel
      Progressive pain

Please note that he used the word "progressive".

I would suggest that you contact your surgeon with any and all questions you have.

Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

My daughter said that the Darvocet she was on for pain made her have hot and cold flashes all the time. She was really happy when she got off of that medication. If you are still taking narcotics, that could be causing some of your headaches and stomaches. Those medications are really strong. If you are worried about the other things, please call your dr.

Good luck for your continued progress and healing.
        Marie

Comment

Hi ScoliGal...

There are a few things about which there might be some concern. 1) You should take your temperature several times a day to be sure you're not running a fever. 2) You should talk to your surgeon about all of the other things, but especially about leaning to one side. That is not normal, and can become permanent, if your spine fuses in that position. I've known a few people who were put in custom postop braces to counter-act a tilt.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Also, I stopped all pain medication at 1 week post op because my doctor didnt want to send me any pain medication for home so i woudnlt get used to them.. Also i noticed that i am unusually hungry and i doint seem to be gaining pounds, more like loosing them...
            ~Wanda~
            40TL curve pre op
            June 7, 2006

Comment

WOW! So, what are you taking for your pain???
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

absolutely nothing!! i know its hard to believe but ive learned to get used to the pain until it goes away!! lol
                ~Wanda~
                40TL curve pre op
                June 7, 2006

Comment

Devin has been complaining of hot flashes too. She also had a period, but it was thankfully normal. The doctor sent her home with Tylenol 3 and Valium. She's only taking them at night, just plain old extra strength Tylenol during the day. I can tell she's getting tired of swallowing pills! She is leaning to the side, the same side her shoulder blade stuck out before the surgery.
                  Cheryl C
                  mother of Devin, 14 yo girl, fused 6/12/2006, T2 - T12.

Comment

i've been having those same exact symptoms.

- ive been on my period for 15 days..( I had it June 5...2 days before surgery)
                    - my back is cracking alot...everytime i move around in bed its just crack crack crack..gets annoying really...
                    - im not completely straight...my spine is but i sort of lean to one side...something i didnt do before...
                    - increased trips to the bathroom...(ive been going more times a day to the bathroom for #1)...
                    - increased thirst?...lately ive had more of an urge to drink lots of water..
                    - oh and stomachaches...and
                    - headaches...
                    - ah...extreme heat flashes...

its great to hear that im not going crazy here witht all these crazy symptoms.

Comment

Scoligal,

I had the cracking and popping after my surgery. It did worry me too, did not hurt but i was worried. I called my dr and he said that was completly normal and to not worry about it. He said it will take awhile for that to stop when the fusion heals.
                      As for your period yes that can be normal. Your body went through a major shock and does weird things. When i had one of my first surgeries when I was 14 I had never even had my period. And guess what, lucky me i started while i was in the hospital. Sucked but my dr said it was due to the shock that my body went through.
                      As for the other things you can speak with your dr. I would suggest to call them or make a apt soon for a follow up. When was your surgery? And I cant believe you arnt taking anything for pain! If it is working out for you then you are a very strong person, but if you are in alot of pain that can prolong your recovery process.
                      I hope your recovery is coming along good and hope you feel better.

Sarah
                      Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                      2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                      March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                      August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                      August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Frequent urination

My daughter is 3 weeks post op (Yale New Haven Childrens Hospital) and has a constant urge to pee.(no pain) It keeps her up at night!
                        Dr. said to wait and see, but have you gotten any help or answers for this problem?
                        She is at her wits end with this! Thanks!!

Comment

i actually have a doctor. appt. in a couple of days -- its my first post op so i will see what he will do.
                          ~Wanda~
                          40TL curve pre op
                          June 7, 2006

Comment

Working...
                          X