Shelby's succesful surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelby's succesful surgery

I am home getting a quick shower so I will be brief. Shelby's surgery was VERY successful. She was in surgery for 4 hours and they were able to correct her 44T and 64L curves to one 10 degree curve. That simply amazes me. She was 5'3'' before surgery and I would guess she is at least 5'6'' now. They got her up this morning to walk to the restroom and she was standing at the sink and I couldn't believe how tall and straight her back is. Her surgeon was amazed at how stiff her spine was for a 12 year old. He said he was so glad that we did this when we did because if we had waited much longer "we would have had a mess". Everything happens for a reason, I truly believe that and I am so thankful that God led us to this amazing surgeon and led us down the road of surgery. I know that the coming days will be rough but I feel on top of the world right now. You all were right THE OTHER SIDE is so AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the support and positive thoughts you all sent Shelby's way. I am anxious to hear about Lindsay. I will keep you all updated on Shelby's progress.

Sincerely,
    Kathy

Thanks for the update, so happy to hear the surgery was successful. Hope the recovery goes just as smoothly. Welcome to the "other side"

Renee

Comment

Congratulations on your daughter's successful surgery! Welcome to the other side. I am so glad to hear that all is well. You will not believe how much she will be able to do in a short amount of time.
      Marie

Comment

That's great!!!!
        Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

Thanks so much for letting us know how the surgery went and how Shelby is doing. It is a good feeling to have this surgery behind you so that now you can focus on what is ahead. This is not an easy time for Shelby and it is hard to see your daughter in pain and going through this, but the results are so much better.

Take care.
          Connie

Comment

Congratulations on a successful surgery. Many more speedy and uncomplicated recovery vibes coming your way.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Shelby is home

Thank you all for the kind words and prayers you all said for Shelby. Believe it or not she came home tonight (Wednesday). She just had surgery on Monday. Her doctor said all she needs to do now is walk and rest and she can do those things at home as easily as she could do them at the hospital. She is progressing very well, she is still pretty sore and sometimes getting up and back down can bring a grimace to her face. Now that I can stop worrying about the surgery I can start worrying about keeping her from falling down. I forgot to mention earlier that she was fused from T4 to L4. I hope that in the future she won't be too limited on her flexibility but I guess we will have to cross that bridge when we get there. I think she is nervous about being home but happy as well. Her friends put a big sign in our front yard today before we came home that said Welcome "Back" Shelby!!! She got a kick out of that. Hopefully Lindsay will be reporting in soon, I am still thinking about her and wondering how she is doing.

Thanks again for everything.
              Kathy
              Daughter Shelby 12 1/2 years old
              Curves 44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
              Surgery June 19th, 2006
              Fused T4 to L4

Comment

wow -- what a really quick hospital stay...amazing! Mine was like from Jun 7 - Jun 12 ...i hope she continues to do so well, and a speedy recovery!!
                ~Wanda~
                40TL curve pre op
                Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
                San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
                June 7, 2006
                post op curve: 16

Comment

Thanks Wanda, I wish the same for you. How are you feeling? I keep telling Shelby every day will get better. We went on a cruise before her surgery and one of our stops was San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was beautiful. Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Kathy
                  Daughter Shelby 12 1/2
                  Curves 44T 64L Corrected to 5T 10L
                  Surgery June 19, 2006
                  Fused from T4 to L4

Comment

Wow, that is amazing how fast Shelby was able to come home! My son had the same fusion t4-L4 and he was nowhere near ready to come home 3rd day post surgery. I don't know that I would have been ready for us to go home that soon...it sounds like you guys prepared well! How soon was Shelby able to get all the tubes removed? Is she able to eat ok? I am so happy for you that Shelby is doing so well, sounds like she'll be out and about before you know it!

Renee

Comment

Yeah her stay was really quick, on the 4th i had my foley removed, and the first time i really walked was on the 5th day...wow..she is amazing!!!

I am doing well thank you, I already learned how to go to the bathroom by myself and i can already dress myself from top to bottom.. Wow, you went to Puerto Rico, thats really nice. What cruise did you go to? I went one time on Adventure of the Seas...it was nice...
                      ~Wanda~
                      40TL curve pre op
                      Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
                      San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
                      June 7, 2006
                      post op curve: 16

Comment

Working...
                      X