View Full Version : Moving to America

06-20-2006, 12:27 PM

I have a Scoliosis (details of it in my signature) and I get alot of back pain which can make me feel sick and causes me to have headaches.

I live in England and we have a National Health Service (NHS) which is free health care for all. They do not believe that my back pain is real and blame it as paranoia (check out the dates in my signature, I had back pain BEFORE I was diagnosed) and that it will probably go away.

Now I've heard that alot of people with curves like mine get treated in America. My back pain is becoming a joke, it's getting worse and I am starting to get hip pain too. The NHS will not do anything and will probably discharge me later this year (November I think it is) but I will probably have back pain for the rest of my life!

What are the approximate costs for treatment in the USA and how much would it cost to visit people. I know I'm only 16 but I'm getting a job soon and I will save most of it for treatment for when I am older. Also what is the best State, town and hospital to go to and who can I contact?

Many thanks

06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
i live in Puerto Rico and i am treated at San Jorge Children's Hospital with Dr. Pablo Marrero...he is cool...he got my curve down to 7 degrees...

06-21-2006, 06:57 PM

I went through my teens with a painful scoliosis that was also not surgically treatable, so I understand what you are going through and how consuming the pain can be. You never know when or how long it will hit you, and it seems like no one else understands.

What I found out as I got older was that both chiropractic manipulations helped relieve the pain, and that I also needed physical therapy exercises and stretches to train and condition the muscles that are unevenly pulled by the spine. They do not work overnight, but if you keep doing them even through the pain, they will help and eventually the pain will lessen, and sometimes disappear enough that you can live with it.

I'm not sure how your health service works, but when you see the dr. again, ask if you can get some physical therapy. You need a trained therapist to evaluate your muscles and painful areas and he can prescribe exercises and stretches that they will teach you to do, both with him and on your own at home. If possible, ask for someone who is familiar with scoliosis patients. This is the "Number one" thing that has helped me cope with my pain levels through the years with my scoliosis. It may not stop the curve from progressing, but it will help you be able to live with it.

If they absolutely will not send you to a therapist, can you get into some gentle yoga classes? This can also be beneficial, as well as swimming, which stretches the spinal muscles.

Let us know how your appointment goes.


06-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Hiya Deb

Thanks for that advice. If the pain progresses into the summer holidays then I will consider going in again and ask to b refered to a physio. I did get that oppotunity last time but because I went to the doctors without telling my parents I couldn't let them know so I said "I'll see how it goes."

As I have two months off now before going to college I will see if my parents can fork out some money for me to take myself swimming, I can't see why they can't/shouldn't.

Thanks again.