9 days and counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 days and counting

and I am scared to death. I am 27, in pretty good shape, decent health. I have the heart and lung complications due to my scoliosis at the moment and hoping they go away after surgery. My curve is only 68 degrees. Only..what a word. I have a three year old son, and i'll tell you pg was h*ll on me. I am of a very slight build, like no body fat at all and all muscle. My doctor says I will do just fine but I am scared to death. I think of questions to ask my surgen in a week, but i forget them before I can write them down. I don't know what to expect, what to pack, what I am supposed to do, how I am going to survive this. It is only me and my fiancee and my son. I think I am having pre-op panic attacks. I don't know a thing and am scared to death. Feel free to IM me or email me. Someone PLEASE help keep me calm!!

Hi Mom
    I'm 13 days away from a disc replacement and fusion. I can honestly say I was more nervous a few weeks ago when I first learnt my surgery date than I am now.
    I've been doing a lot of meditation and going through each step of my surgery in my mind,actually visualising the first incision right through to waking up, and everything going well. I also watched a video of the surgery on the net so I know exactly what's going to happen. Now I know that's not for everyone, but it helped me.
    Each day I know I'm closer to being in less pain than I am now and that I couldn't go on like this indefinitely. I deserve a life!
    If you're having panic attacks ( Ive had them) ask your doc to prescribe you some Valium. When I've had panic attacks before I've taken just 1/4 of a tab a few times a day. It's not enough to make you unable to function, but helps calm you down. best of luck
    Cathy

Comment

Yoga and meditation helped calm me down. They sell soothing sounds music cd's that also helped to relax me. Talk to your doctor about your fears. Your fears are common and you'll be so happy that you went through with the surgery.
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

I was 30 when I had my surgery and was also in pretty good health. I too am of a slight build. I was 4' 11.75" before surgery and weighed 110 lbs. I lost 15 lbs after surgery and gained 2" of height. There were moments afterwards that I thought, "What did I do to myself, why did I do this?" but within 3 months, I was well on my way to recovering. 16 months later, I'm able to golf, run around and play with our dog and travel extensively...all things I love to do.

My hospital offered relaxation classes and I'm glad I went. They taught us breathing techniques and suggested cd's that provide calming sounds (like rain, waves, etc). They really helped. I would listen to them every night before my surgery and I would fall asleep with no problem! The breathing techniques helped mostly after the surgery.

What you're feeling is absolutely normal. Try to keep a notebook out on a countertop so that when you think of a question, you're not searching for it. Good luck!

Comment

hey. well it is nine days for me also today but i have to say i am actually feeling the best i have in months. I have been waiting for 18 months to get this surgery and had it cancelled once so a lot of the anxiety i was feeling about it being cancelled has gone and i think that is why i feel better. Im not doing cartwheels or anything, but i don't feel the heart racing every few minutes like i did a fewq weeks ago. I just keep thinking that i will be most scared when i get wheeled away from my family, but just remember that that is the easy bit for us. we go to sleep and wake up as if no time has gone by. They have to endure hours of waiting. So many people are affected by your surgery and you should take peace in the fact that God is guiding the surgeon to do their best. You will be fine. Once i accepted that this is going ahead, i am actually feeling much better. Don't be on your own too much as that can really affect your mind(thinking too much). Get active and do all the things you love most. I have been walking to the beach everyday and enjoying the feeling of sand between my toes-even though it's bloody freezing'.
          Good luck, we will be going through it together!
          Love Katie.
          Katie

Comment

Mom,

I know exactly what you mean! My daughter is only 2 and my surgery is Monday!! I think the best thing we can do right now is try to stay very positive... its hard, I know, but I think it is very important. I woke up the other night in a cold sweat from an awful dream, cried a little and then just said- nope, I'm not gonna let it get me down like this. I've also been keeping myself VERY busy, try planning alot of events, etc. I think this has helped me alot. My family & friends seem to be freaking out a bit more than me right now- I think I have accepted it and once I put my mind to something there is no stopping me. We will get thru this. All the best wishes for a successful surgery & recovery!

Angela
            Angela
            29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Hi Mom,

It is very normal to feel scared to death!!! I know I felt like a big baby, for being as scared as I was. I had lurked on this forum for months and months before my surgery, and my 1st post was " 9 days til surgery and scared to death". I tried to hide my fear from everyone around me, but felt free to share it here. There is no shame in fear!!!

I am thinking of you and everyone else that is about to have their surgery.
              It's hard, but it's worth it.

Shari

Comment

Mom,
                It is not easy by any means to keep this off your mind.. I have been on one trip with mom & sisters & am going away again with my husband & kids very soon. This has helped keep me busy! My boys have just one more day of school & then summer starts for us. Life is so busy with them that I hope they will keep me from thking of this all. I am fine during the daytime just evenings & early mornings are the hardest & I get very melancholy.....Ly
                aug 1-any/post...

Comment

For MomInTheMound

Mom - I sent you a private message. Lynn
                  1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                  2000 Partial Rod Removal
                  2001 Right Scapular Resection
                  12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                  06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

i was the same way

i am 27 also and have a 3 yr. old son as well. I thank God have help from my family and he seems to be perfect thru all of this. He understands the dr. worked on me to make me better and he takes it real easy around me. ( like no jumping and crazy stuff.) He's much calmer now and walks real slow next to me just like i do. I was more excited for my surgery than scared because i was thinking about how many years i dealt with this (like 15 yrs.)and now it was gonna finally be better. I could not imagine life without the scoliosis pain. I was soooo excited. I knew the recover was gonna be long and hard but i figured that the past 15 yrs. were long and hard and i got thru it. Plus i would rather go thru some tough couple of months than tough rest of my life. This was my opportunity for a better and healthier future. I am about 2 weeks or so post op. and it is hard but i am sure it was worth it. The only pain i have is like post op pain.....unbelieveable my scoliosis pain is gone! And let me tell you,that feels great. I whined a lot from the first day of surgery but all i see is every single day is soo much better! So be strong and think of the good that will come out of this. Good luck and God Bless!
                    Stephanie T11 to L3.....6-05-06....45 to 10 degrees.
                    Last edited by fitiani33; 06-23-2006, 10:55 PM.
                    Stephanie
                    T11 to L3
                    1 rib removed
                    June 5, 2006

Comment

by the way....

it hasn't really been 3 weeks yet and i know i compalined a ton and i had some hard times but at my dr.s appt. yesterday he said i was do doing so well i could even drive now......not gonna but it was nice to hear. I just want you to know it is not that bad now or as scary as i thought it would be. I am not sure how often i should come out but for the past 3 days i have been out and about ( carefully and slowly ). I ate in resturaunts, went to the grocery store, been to the bank, went to a purse party and thru all of this nobody would have thought i just had this major back operation. Only thing is i walk slow and of course no bending lifting twisting or turning. So think postive and know it will be ok. It might seem scary now but just have faith and know that so many of us go thru this everyday and we are all here for you. Best of luck and God Bless!

Stephanie
                      Stephanie
                      T11 to L3
                      1 rib removed
                      June 5, 2006

Comment

Working...
                      X