Question About Narcotics before Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Narcotics before Surgery

I am in excrutiating pain most of my day. I have been taking very loe doses if vicitin for about 3 months. I am extremely concerned about addiction, but it also concerns me how I will function until September when I have my surgery. I have a physical job (retail manager) and I don't know how3 I will be able to work without meds. I am trying to make what I have last until I see my surgeon on July 5th.
    I have dealt with the pain before with massive amounts of advil, but pain is also shooting down the right leg. No fun when you have to be on your feet all day.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Ask your doc about any non-med pain relievers. I have a TENS unit and that does wonders when I wear it. Some people seem to have more success with it than others, but - when I was working retail, it really helped alot. Don't know if this is something you have explored before, but I LOVED mine.

Comment

What the heck is a TENS unit?????
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Tens Unit

Hey,

I have a TENS Unit. It sends little electrical impulses into the muscles. You hook 4 or less little electrodes to your body, where you hurt & it is supposed to alleviate the pain.
        I didn't have much success with the TENS Unit, though.
        Kim
        Tupelo, MS
        42 degree curve T1-T5
        25 degree compensatory curve
        Diagnosed @ 14 or 15
        Treating with meds & exercising

Comment

Plenty of time for therapy before your surgery

Dear Dawney,

I worked retail for years in a bakery on hard cement floors and developed a lot of pain in my hips and down my legs with the scoliosis so have a lot of sympathy. Glad that you have decided to get the surgery; that's also my decision after being disabled from the pain for 1 1/2 years, I want to get better so I can work again, but it's better not to wait that long.

Have you gotten any physical therapy treatment for the pain yet? Your doctor can refer you to a therapist who can evaluate you and give you stretching/strenthening exercises to help relieve the pain while you are waiting for the surgery. ASk for someone experienced with scoliosis patients, if possible.

Also, about the pain shooting down the leg--usually something pinched in lower back, but if nothing shows up on the x-rays or mri's, they won't do anything. I had good luck going to the chiropractor for that. THey can adjust your lower back and also do gentle lower back traction to relieve the pressure. I had amazing results from this. Also if you know someone with an inversion machine (turns you upside down), this also stretches out that lower lumbar region.

I know you probably don't have time or energy for these things after working retail all day, but believe me, the exercises and stretches do work--you have to keep doing them until the pain stops, then keep them up for maintenance or it will come back. Good luck.

Deb

Comment

I didn't get much relief from the chiropractor or traction. The only exercises he gave me to do was to lie on the floor and press lower back against the floor. I have not been very good about doing them as I should.
            surgery 9/06
            Rothman institute

Comment

Working...
            X