1 Week to Go!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Week to Go!!

Okay, here I am with one week to go till surgery I think I'm getting all prepared and all tho! Got the jitters- I admit that! Thank you all for all your support and kind words, this forum has truly made a difference.

I called my docs office today to get an RX for the shower seat & the raised toilet seat (the place where I was going to buy them said that my insurance would cover them if I had an RX for it). My docs office said that they don't write RX's for them... why? It would save me a good chunck of change!

My question is- how many of you found these to be of good use? How many of you used these? They made me feel like I won't need them or something. I love my doc and all but the nurse needs some compassion I think! Anyhow was just wondering....

Thanks!
    Angela
    29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Angela,

I used both for a couple of months. The raised toliet seat was very helpful for getting back up. It had arms on the side that you could use to help get up with. I felt so "grown up" when I was able to shower myself. The first week home my husband or daughter had to help and that was with the shower seat. After that first week, I was able to do it myself because I had the seat and a handheld shower head. By time your all finished though, you'll be ready for a nap.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Good luck

Angela

I am getting surgery in September and I am getting jitters now and then. I don't know how you must be feeling. Here's to a speedy recovery and great correction.
      surgery 9/06
      Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Angela
        13 days away from surgery myself and I have just bought the shower seat and toilet seat too.
        I also got a long handle back washer, non-slip mat, shower extension and grabber.
        It's difficult trying to guess what you'll need but I guess we can always sell them on E Bay later.
        A lovely friend is coming to stay with us on my second week home when hubby goes back to work to cook and look after us.
        Good Luck
        Cathy

Comment

Angela,
          I will be sending good luck & positive thoughts your way!!!! You sound in a positive state of mind which is so important...try to live 'in the moment' as my sister told me(ha-ha, good advice but not always so easy....) I just got back from a trip w/ my sisters & mom & then I go away with husband & kids very soon again so it is helping me 'cope' by keeping busy! Now with about 5 weeks left, I am trying to keep up with the house, getting a bit more organized with the kids cabinet/cereal/snacks/cups where they can reach them. Using tupperware/containers for stuff they'll need...
          on the grabber & all, I was told probably insurance will cover it but will know when I'm assigned a representative at hospital close to release date...
          I'm so hoping a rehab center is covered by insurance & was told by the surgeon's nurse, it should be because they would rather get you there because the hospital costs are higher.....Ly
          stay in touch..........

Comment

makaylasmom

I couldn't believe they wouldn't give me a prescription either! What's the big deal, if our insurance is willing to cover it?
            At the hospital they gave me a dressing stick, sock aid, elastic laces and one grabber. They showed me how to use these tools. I invested in another grabber, raised toilet seat (without arms) because it was cheaper and a shower chair. I used the raised toilet seat for one month and I still use the elastic laces, shower chair and hand held massage. Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

i didnt use a raised toilet seat...i learned to sit on the toilet at 7 days post op and i use a long showerhead and a bath bench so i dont have to sit on the bathtub...hehe im onlyh 13 days post op and i can sit for hours
              ~Wanda~
              40TL curve pre op
              Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
              San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
              June 7, 2006
              post op curve: 16

Comment

You go girl!

Good for you, Makayla's Mom--

I'll be with you in spirit when you go for your surgery; mine is in 6 weeks.

My surgeon told me not to buy the raised toilet seat or any supplies as they would be given to me in the hospital before discharge so they would be covered by insurance. So I hope he's right; otherwise will send my family out for them!

Deb

65T
                75L
                age 47
                Scheduled for posterior surgery on July 24, 2006
                in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Comment

You might try asking your Primary Care doc instead of your surgeon. Sometimes your PCP is more co-opertive and helpful. Just explain about the surgery and the insurance problem
                  SandyC

Comment

If your PCP can't help either, you might try calling someone at the hospital to see if they will provide them. My hospital provided the kamode (aka raised toilet seat with arms), shower seat, elastic laces, sock aid and grabber on my last day. They direct billed my insurance for everything.

Comment

I only used the grabber when I heard about it on this forum, and that's only for this last surgery I had. I wish I had known about some of these tools when I had my first surgery, they seem very helpful. I wouldn't have needed the raised toilet seat, as I get up without bending and I'm not too tall and only fused to L2(compared to some who have longer fusions), but I had a chair for my shower.

The hospital never talked to me about these tools and I tried to get insurance to pay for them but they didn't.

Good luck with the surgery.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

My mother had surgery 5 weeks ago. She has used the raised toilet seat which we found could easlily moved into the shower as a shower chair. Since many people only use the shower chair for more than first few weeks you may want to try this idea to save money. Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks for the response!

Thank you for all your kind words! You guys are great!! I have since talked with the hospital (pre-admin) and they said that the physical therapy team would assess me and order any and all equipment I may want or need before I go home. That put me at ease! I've gotten the grabber (actually 2 in case I drop one), a long shower sponge, the press & seal stuff for showers & a long shoe horn for dressing. I think I'm ready.. well, almost. Good luck to all of you who are also about to have surgery. It is going to be hard but I think with the right frame of mind we will make it thru just fine. Thanks again!!
                          Angela
                          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Working...
                          X