Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Will I Drive Again?

HI
    My next follow up appt. is July 11th. I'm hoping my surgeon says I can drive by then. It will be two months post-op. How long did it take you to start after your surgery? Thanks!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

I think it was bettwen 3-4 months when I was able to drive. I just went slow and easy. Linda

Comment

Hi Jenn,

I was driving at 5 weeks post-op. I didn't go far or do much but it was great to get out even just to take kids around to school or activities. I didn't have my Dr. say I couldn't I just knew when I was ready. I was so happy to get to the grocery store the first time! LOL! I must have been going stir crazy to enjoy that Huh? Best wishes.

Comment

It's different for everybody and in my case, I didn't mind not driving and I was in a lot of pain that first year so it wasn't of importance. I think you should wait to ask what your ortho thinks, but usually a lot think after the first three months it's ok-if you're comfortable doing it, not in too much pain and not on strong narcotics.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Suzy

Hi Suzy
          Were you still on pain meds? If so, what kind and were you weaning yourself off at that point? I do feel ready and started taking less pain medication
          Thanks
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Hi Jenn,

Yes, I was on them but knew not to take the valium if I was going to drive. I was (and still am) taking the Norco but it doesn't affect me in any way that I shouldn't be driving. It will be good for you to get out and start to do stuff by yourself again. I'm sure you have been at home enough by now and are ready to do something out side the house. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well!

Comment

I was told that i shouldnt start driving until 6weeks post-op. I could of driven before then but my Dr. wanted to be on the safe side. He told me that as long as i could turn my head and sit in the car then i could drive. We waited just to be sure though.
              My name is sierra
              I am 17 years old
              Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
              I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
              I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Comment

Working...
              X