PDA

View Full Version : When Will I Drive Again?

summer
06-18-2006, 08:12 AM
HI
My next follow up appt. is July 11th. I'm hoping my surgeon says I can drive by then. It will be two months post-op. How long did it take you to start after your surgery? Thanks!

crookedspine
06-18-2006, 08:20 AM
I think it was bettwen 3-4 months when I was able to drive. I just went slow and easy. Linda

Suzy
06-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi Jenn,

I was driving at 5 weeks post-op. I didn't go far or do much but it was great to get out even just to take kids around to school or activities. I didn't have my Dr. say I couldn't I just knew when I was ready. I was so happy to get to the grocery store the first time! LOL! I must have been going stir crazy to enjoy that Huh? Best wishes.

sweetness514
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
It's different for everybody and in my case, I didn't mind not driving and I was in a lot of pain that first year so it wasn't of importance. I think you should wait to ask what your ortho thinks, but usually a lot think after the first three months it's ok-if you're comfortable doing it, not in too much pain and not on strong narcotics.

summer
06-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi Suzy
Were you still on pain meds? If so, what kind and were you weaning yourself off at that point? I do feel ready and started taking less pain medication
Thanks

Suzy
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi Jenn,

Yes, I was on them but knew not to take the valium if I was going to drive. I was (and still am) taking the Norco but it doesn't affect me in any way that I shouldn't be driving. It will be good for you to get out and start to do stuff by yourself again. I'm sure you have been at home enough by now and are ready to do something out side the house. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well!

ScoliChick
06-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I was told that i shouldnt start driving until 6weeks post-op. I could of driven before then but my Dr. wanted to be on the safe side. He told me that as long as i could turn my head and sit in the car then i could drive. We waited just to be sure though.