2 weeks to go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks to go!

Hi everyone, well it's now 2 weeks to go and i'm feeling quite good about it. I have accepted the fact that im going to be sliced up and all that lovely stuff, and i'm even ok about not being able to wash my hair or-gasp-clean my own bottom after i go to the loo for awhile, but what i am not sure about, is how long it will take to go back to work. as a high school teacher, i have a pretty demanding physical job which requires me to be on my feet alot. i have heard that your back starts to 'wake up' after awhile and this can be painful. at what stage does this happen as i am hoping to return to work within about 3 months of surgery and possibly earlier. Any other unexpected things you had personally to deal with, i'd love to know. I want to be prepared for anything. Also, my dr told me to go on fefol tablets for my iron levels but my note from hospital said to stop taking herbal medicine from 2 weeks before. Did anyone else have this issue???
    Katie.
    Katie

I experienced the nerves "waking up" after two months post op, and it lasted for for the first year and a half-but after the first 6-8 months it got better(had ups and downs).

Hope your surgery goes well.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Good luck...........you'll be sooo happy when it's over. I expected to lose weight from reading threads on this site, so I bought some clothes ahead of time. BIG Mistake. I had no loss of appetite and since I had anterior surgery my stomach has been swollen ever since and nothing fits. You'll most likely be more comfortable with a raised toilet seat and shower chair, so buy those ahead of time. That's all I can think of right now
      Best wishes for a successful surgery!
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Katie, I think what you can and can not do depends on how big of a operation you have to have done.
        I was able to wash my own hair, shower by myself and wipe my own bottom.
        I have a very long incision, my worst part was when I had my staples in. They were the worst of it all.
        Hope you do well.
        Mattie

Comment

Hi Katie,

I am 4 months post-op and couldn't go back to work yet If I had to. My fusion is lower though (T10 -L4) I think you might be better off because you are 18 years younger. and your fusion is more mid back.

My Daughter had a huge dance show yesterday and dress rehersal the night before. Just sitting for 4 hours the first night I was very sore the next morning. Yesterday I took it easy but still after being up and around for 7 1/2 hrs. I was trashed this morning. I don't think it would be so bad if my fusion was higher up. (my lower back swells a bit when I over do it.) A heating pad has become my buddy, it loosens up tightened muscles. That might help you when you are recovering and when you go back to teach. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
          X