Lastest Doctor's Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lastest Doctor's Visit

Yesterday I went for my follow up appointment with Dr. Fras at the University of Pennsylvania. He measured my latest xray and found my curve to be 44 degrees. That's 3 degrees greater than last May. He said if the curve had been 48 or higher he would have recommended surgery since it would be progressing significantly but 3 degrees wasn't that big of a progression. He wants me to come back in a year. He thinks I will need surgery in the next couple of years but not at this point. I was disappointed that I have to live with pain for longer than I anticipated but oh well. At least he gave me a note to get out of jury duty!
    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
    2003- 33 degrees
    2005- 37 degrees
    2006- 44 degrees
    May 2007- 47 degrees
    December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
    Fused T1 to L2
    Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Hi Briarrose...

From what I have read on here, sometimes it's worth waiting a bit. I have a similar curve as yours (45), actually I have 2 but do not know which is 45. Anyway, I would guess waiting a few years would be a good idea and in the meantime see a PT or Chiropractor for the pain?

Good luck

Comment

Awww Sorry to hear the not so good news.

What have you been doing to help yourself? (ie. Excercises, osteo??)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

My doctor wants me to try physical therapy again. I did it back in 2003 but I think it caused more pain than anything else. I also went to a chiropractor in 2000-2001 but it didn't help either. I try to do pilates and walk, but even they are painful. I basically just try to tolerate the pain. My doctor told me to come back if I felt my curve was worsening or if my pain was getting worse. What would he do for the pain? Narcotics? I took Vicodin when I had my wisdom teeth out and that was the only time I had no back pain. I only took it twice for my teeth and never for my back. I don't want to get addicted. What do you do for pain?
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2

Comment

I've found neurontin to be helpful. If you don't experience side effects it is a good alternative to narcotics. Also, hot soaks in the tub can be good too.

Comment

I used to use a heating pad, exercise and take yoga classes to relieve my back pain.
            Jenn
            37 y/o female
            60 degree lumbar
            45 degree thoracic
            1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
            T 5 to S 1
            NYC

Comment

Briarrose,
              I guess that's ok news. I had 45 curves balancing as a teenager & looked great so who can tell. How old are you?? Unfortunately, it stinks to have the pain but do the P.T. & maybe it will help & swimming. I find it so strange that with a humdinger curve(s) like mine I don't really have much pain except some at night. Or maybe I'm totally use to it?? Lynne
              ant/post..& ribs removal(ouch!) aug 1st
              60/60 curves 85 kypho/95 thorocolumbar curve

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate your input.

I'm 24 years old. When I was 16, and done growing, my curve was 18 degrees. Now, 8 years later, it's 44 degrees. I don't know if it will keep moving or not.

I'll have to try the heating pad and perhaps swimming. I've never heard of Neurotin, but I will look into it.

Lynne, maybe you are used to the back pain. I know I'm partially used to it.
                Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                2003- 33 degrees
                2005- 37 degrees
                2006- 44 degrees
                May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Working...