Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental Work

Hi
    I have a dentist appt. next week just to look at a tooth that has been bothering me. Is it true that I need to get a prescription for antibiotics before heading to the dentist???? Please advise
    Thanks
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

I asked my ortho in May what he thinks. He says that for just a clean up, there is no need, more with root canals or extensive dental work. Now my dentist said that the dental association here in my province only requires hip replacement surgery patients to take the antibiotics for two years post op, not people who have implants in their backs like us, but if I want to take the antibiotics before-it's one pill and one hour before going to my appointment-I make the decision.

Now every surgeon is different and you should ask yours what he thinks and make the decision for yourself. Sometimes I think I should take it, as it's just one dose. But it's not a guarnatee and some think it doesn't do much to prevent any infections. I was supposed to go the dentist before my ortho's appointment so I canceled it for next Fall since I wanted to know what he thought.

That's what I know, hope it helps.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Summer,

We were just talking about this on another thread entitled "6 month post-op". I was given antibiotics for my son for his routine dental visit and was told it is necessary for the first year after surgery with instrumentation. It was also in the pamphlet I took home from Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia -so I know they (Shriners) recommend this but every doctor may have different beliefs. I say better safe than sorry though.

Good luck,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

there's no problem having a dentist appmt before surgery is there(I mean a few weeks before??) I kind of dragged my feet & meant to get in sooner....
        I recall I heard about being on an antibiotic after surgery for the dentist etc, to protect against any infection from another patient of my surgeon....Ly
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        aug surg......

Comment

Thanks everyone. My surgeon said I'll have to pre-medicate before dentist appointments for the rest of my life!
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

dentist/surgical procedures and antibiotics beforehand

That's what Dr. Boachie's office told me also-even this far out from surgery
            and any time my skin is broken by a surgical procedure as well as colonoscopy.

This is because bacteria are released into the bloodstream whenever teeth are worked on as well as other procedures in the rest of the body. Bacteria can then settle in the hardware and lurk there.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

This is very interesting, and I have never used them and my orthos still don't think it's necessary but I have decided take them from what I read now.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
              X