Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 mo. post-op update

Hi,

Just wanted to share Joe's appt. yesterday. So he is a few days shy of the 6 mo. mark and dr. said everything looks fine and he seems to be doing well. Dr. again mentioned the rib hump, he feels the ribs may have malformed somewhat from the scoli. This, I feel is the only drawback to not bracing prior to surgery (for our situation). I feel at least that may have helped the ribs develop properly and today maybe the hump would be less than what it is now.

As for activities, he can add tennis, some baseball, basketball and moderate chores (he didn't like the last one, lol) to what he is already allowed to do. Also can start pushups, and use hand held weights up to 10 lbs. (but still not too much bending and watch the twisting). He can also bear a little weight on his back (also not more than 10 lbs.).

One thing I haven't seen mentioned but I asked about was in regards to having dental work done (routine cleaning). The dr. said for the first year an antibiotic would be required 1 hr. prior to having the cleaning.

So, today is a good day I hope this will bring Joe out of his shell a little more, little by little he is getting to enjoy his youth again. Take care everyone, and have a great day!

Renee
    Last edited by flowerpower; 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM.

Renee,

Sounds like Joe had an excellent check-up and I know he's glad to get some of his restrictions lifted.

I was surprised to hear that his doctor wants him pre-medicated for dental appointments. We had a brief discussion on this forum (I think, maybe another forum) before about it and not too many doctors pre-medicate the kids. I asked Jamie's doctor before surgery and he gave me a shocked look, like, "hey, how did you know to ask that question?" and he said that he likes to pre-medicate for one year as a precaution. How did I know to ask? My mom has artificial knee joints and she is always pre-medicated. When I asked Dr. Segal why only for a year for Jamie when my mom has to be medicated for the rest of her life, he said that unlike the knee joints, the back is sorta sealed off in its own fluids to help protect it or something like that. Did the doctor give you a prescription for the medication? Ours did with enough refills for the whole year. However, keep this in mind, I took Jamie for her routine dental appointment a few weeks back and they reminded me about getting her prescription filled. I told them she was almost 18 months post-op at the time and didn't need the medication any more. They told me they would need something in writing from Dr. Segal or they would not be able to treat her the next day! Yikes! Needless to say, it was a mad scramble to contact the doctor's office (he was out of the country at the time, or course) and get someone there to fax a note saying is was okay to not pre-medicate her. Does Joe have braces on his teeth? If not, that would also be an appointment to pre-medicate him for. Jamie had 8 teeth removed before getting her braces put on and the oral surgeon took no chances and started her on antibiotics a few days before and continued for a week after her oral surgery. I also gave her the meds the day she got her braces put on, but not necessary for regular orthodontic appointments.

It's always great to hear when our kids are doing so well. Every milestone he reaches feels good, but the best one is when they reach that one year mark and get the all clear to return to all their normal activities.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

congrats to you Renee, & your son. I recently found a paper I wrote at 17-18 yrs old that fell out of an old photo album(weird timing..) I wrote about being a free woman without my M. Brace..& how happy I was to move freely again... I'm sure your son will thoroughly enjoy being able to do the things he'd like to again. great for your self esteem!

Comment

Do adults need an antibiotic too? I have a dentist appt. next week because a tooth is bothering me and I never heard this before. Should I get a pres for an antibiotic?
        thanks
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

I would check with your dr., especially since it's so soon after your surgery. I was told it is necessary as a precaution against infection during the first year post-op.

Renee
          Last edited by flowerpower; 06-14-2006, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Renee,

Well, congratulations to Joe on such a positive recovery. It's great to see the kids return to normal teenage activities. We neglected to post after our daughter, Lisa, had her 6-month check-up about six weeks ago. She is also progressing beautifully.

Take care,
            Mark
            Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
            Daughter 15 years old
            Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
            Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
            After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

Hi Renee,

I don't think we've ever "spoken" on here but I've read some of your posts. I'm always interested in hearing about the boys - since there are so few with scoliosis compared to girls.

I'm so happy to hear that Joe is coming along so well (and can do some chores now - LOL). I have two teens so I know he was probably not too happy to hear that for sure. It's encouraging that he is allowed to play basketball and some of the other sports. I'll pray for his continued well-being.

It's funny because I asked about antibiotics for David's dental visit a few months post-op and they DID prescribe antibiotics. I was told anyone with any kind of instrumentation should take them during the first year before any dental work. It was strange though because I had to ask or I wouldn't have known. I did, however, go back through some of the discharge papers and in one of the pamphlets it did mentiion this - but I think more of a point should be made to parents so they are aware of this.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Renee!

So happy to hear Joe has passed that 6-month mark and is truly back in the swing of things. Tell him, "good job" and that we hope the recovery phase is quickly becoming a fading memory. Once you get out of that mode and start feeling "normal" again, it's got to help with the feelings of being out of the loop. Liz, too, became somewhat withdrawn since her surgery, and it made me sad that she seemed to lose some of her "gusto." But, I think we forget about the emotional toll this can take on teenagers. With each appointment where they're told they can add more activity, I think it also adds to the self-esteem.

We also just had our 6-month check-up and for fun, the doctor put up her x-rays that were taken during the pre-op appointment, just before her surgery. Wow. It was amazing to see such tangible evidence of her new straight spine.

Happy summer to you and what a feeling a immense relief this is behind us.
                Love, Ann

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. To answer a question Mary Lou asked: Joe was given a prescription for Amoxicillin, single dose to be taken 1 hr. before dental work. He (thankfully) got his braces off some time last year and now wears the clear plastic retainer. And Maria, I think you're right - more of an effort should be made to make parents/patients aware. Even though it is in the discharge papers, how often does one look at them once you're a few months post-op??

Mary Lou, Mark, Maria and Ann: It is good to hear that all of the kids we worried so much about between last summer and now are doing so well, I will continue to pray for their well-being and for those still "waiting in the wings"
                  Ann, I have photos of before and after X-ray and each time I look at them I am amazed - what an education this has been!

Well, today is the last day of school (for the siblings, Joe's been out a week already). We are starting this summer with lighter hearts and happier spirits and I wish the same for you all. Enjoy & take care everyone -

Renee

Comment

Renee,

Great news about Joe. This summer is going to be great for us as well. Isn't it nice not to have the possibility of surgery weighing you down. Thank the Lord it is over!

Cheryl
                    NCM

Comment

Thanks Cheryl, I'm so glad Briann is doing well after her 2nd surgery. We have alot to be thankful for, don't we?

Renee

Comment

Working...
                      X