Decision Made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision Made

Well I saw a surgeon who specializes in spinal deformities at the Rothman Institute and seems that I will be having surgery in September. My curve is at least 70 degrees, the xrays I had taken were crap so I had to take more today. I want to thank everyone here because the surgeon was happy at how imformed I was. I thought I would be upset, but I have a strange calmness, almost relief. I go back to see the surgeon July 5th and we will schedule then. I am going on a family vacation at the end of August so when that is done....
    One question, I will probably have hundreds, but why do some surgeons do 2 surgeries and others do 1?
    By the way I will probably be fused from T-10 to sacrum, but will know more at the follow up visit.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Hi Dawney,

I had 2 surgeries performed. I think each surgeon has their own preference. I had 5 discs, a rib and some hip removed through the anterior surgery. That lasted 5 1/2 hours. Then 6 days later, the rods were inserted, which lasted 9 1/2 hours. I think whether you have 1 or 2 depends on the surgeon, whats going to be done and how long it will take. I could be wrong though.

I'm glad you've found some peace of mind,
    Shari

Comment

Hi Dawney...

I think that surgeons usually do two surgeries when they can get better correction. Some surgeons do both surgeries in one day as opposed to doing it staged over a period of time.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was told that two surgeries are need for 'better access' - however, I have just been fused from T9 to L5 and that was all done anterior. My surgeon wants to do my second stage after I have fully healed from the first stage which is pretty wierd but I have some added spinal congential complications which probably made this necessary.

I'm now 4 months post op and can honestly say that it is really worth it - in fact, I think I should have had it done years ago!

Good luck with your surgery and next appointment.
        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

dawney,
          I am fused T3-L4 and had one surgery. I had a rib removed, some hip bone removed, the fusion and harware inserted. The surgery lasted 12 hours but going in, my surgeon thought it would only take 7 hours. Once in, he found that he was able to get much more correction than originally thought from looking at my x-rays. I never did ask him if he knew it was going to be that way if he would have opted for 2 surgeries or not.

We're all here to help dawney, so please don't hesitate to ask questions...

Comment

Dawney,

I live in Bucks County, too. Hi neighbor!!

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Dawney--I will have 2 operations, one after the other, I believe for better correction...Ly
              ps. Singer(on here) & I met in New Hope recently,that's Bucks Cty-is'nt it??? Ly http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

I think it's just their preference. I felt more comfortable with two. I had my anterior on Mon and posterior on Wed. My surgeon said he gets better correction. Also, he didn't want me under anesthesia for such a long period of time and thought his quality of work is better working 4-5 hours rather than 12-13 hours straight.
                Jenn
                37 y/o female
                60 degree lumbar
                45 degree thoracic
                1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                T 5 to S 1
                NYC

Comment

I live about 20 minutes from New Hope.
                  I am making all kinds of lists of things to do to be prepared.
                  I have decided that while I am in the hospital I am going to have a cleaning service come in and do the works. This way I don't have to focus on cleaning and that type of stuff.
                  Can't decide on what to do with the hair. I cannot get it cut. I think I am opting for braiding it.
                  This forum is doing wonders for me Thanks everyone!
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

Dawney--too bad we did'nt know of you when we met in New Hope! You could have joined us & compared backs!!!
                    when's your surgery again?? & curves?? Ly

Comment

I had 3 surgeries each scheduled 3 days apart... which i think was a bit too much really... to be put under general anesthesia 3 times in one week.. also, depression was beginning to set in before the 3rd surgery... i had forced myself to get up and walk after each of the first two, but just when i'd begin to walk a little better, it would be time for another surgery.. After the third one, i needed some really powerful incentive to get my will power up there. My friend would hold a picture of my new granddaughter in front of me (like a carrot in front of an old mule!) and say "walk for Gracy!!" I knew if i was ever going to be able to hold her and be an active grandmother to her, i'd have to walk ... so it worked!! Was hard though...
                      The reason the surgeon did 3 was to work on the anterior thoracic, the anterior lumbar, and then the third surgery was the posterior T4-S1.

It worked though, and i'm able to babysit Gracy who is now 10 months old and a real handful... and also my BRAND new grandson who was born on June 1!!!

Comment

Congratulations on your new grandson, JoAnn!

Wow! Three surgeries within one week. I don't think I'd be able to handle that. I'm happy to hear that you seemingly are doing quite well and able to enjoy your grandchildren.

Happy babysitting,

Chris

Comment

We are shooting for a September surgery. I will know the exact date when I go back on July 5th. I have a family vacation planned for the week before labor day. My curve is about 70 degrees. I will also know the exact measurement when I go back. I will probably be fused from t-10 to sacrum. I will keep updated info as i get it.
                          surgery 9/06
                          Rothman institute

Comment

Hi, Dawney,
                            I live about 40 minutes from New Hope. I had my surgery years ago and I am just fine. I am always happy to answer any questions you might have. Good luck.
                            Shelley

Comment

Working...
                            X