Newly diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed

Hello - I Just found out the shoulder pain I've been experiencing for the past year in a half is actually from previously undiagnosed scoliosis. I'm 28 and have a 35 degree left thoracic curve right at the base of my neck. My right shoulder has bothered me on and off for the past 18 mos. Last month I guess I played too hard -softball, a lot of cooking, and I got a jarring cough from a cold- because the pain and tingling got so bad that I had to stop all lifting, not even two pounds. Went to the orthopedist and they diagnosed scoliosis. I had and MRI and EMG which showed no complications. I was told that I wouldn't need surgery and was also told that the curve would not progress. The doc put me on Neurontin for the shoulder pain and said that if that didn't help, epidural injections might. Wondering if anyone else has shoulder pain and tingling and if they've had any success controlling it.

Hi, I'm a newly diagnosed adult with Scoliosis too.

I have Thoraco-lumbar Scoliosis. I have a lot of pain in my left shoulder, and it tingles most of the time.
    The Dr's do not think I'll need surgery either, but they're not sure why my Scoliosis is "acting up " so badly now, at age 42.

I have a 35 degree lumbar curve and 20-25 degree thoracic curve.

I've been doing Yoga to try to strengthen and stetch my back and shoulders,which will aggravate my shoulder pain for about an hour or so afterwards.

I've found that Aleve (Naproxen) works just about as well as anything in managing the pain,swelling and stiffness.

The Dr's did say that I could have an Epidural if I wanted, but I'm not a big fan needles or messing with my spine. Therefore, I'll just stick with over the counter meds.

Not sure if this helps you, but it's my two cents worth!

Comment

shoulder pain

Thanks for writing back. It's nice to hear from someone who is in a similar situation. I think that my scoliosis has been acting up because I'm more active now in my life than ever before. I discovered weight lifting, softball and I'm just generally very active these days. My pain probs started when I began weight lifting. This past month has been awful though, I can't cook or clean my house let alone play softball!

I hate needles too but if the drugs don't work I might give the epidural a go. I tried a yoga class a few months ago but it made me uncomfortable rather than ease the pain.

I wonder if it is unusual that I have been having problems with pain. My curve isn't huge and I am young and in shape.

I'll try aleve.

Comment

Hi

I know exactly what kind of pain you are talking about. I haven't been able to find anything that relieves it except for Vicodin which I've only taken for it twice. I hope the Alleve works for you.

I'm 24 and have a 41 degree curve as of last May. I'm getting my xray from last week measured tomorrow. If it has increased to 45 degrees, my doctor is going to recommend surgery.

Good luck with everything!
        Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
        2003- 33 degrees
        2005- 37 degrees
        2006- 44 degrees
        May 2007- 47 degrees
        December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
        Fused T1 to L2
        Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment