X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Excercises

Hey Everyone!

I have thoracolumbar scoliosis.

I am wondering about excercises.... I heard pilates is really good, is it much better than yoga?

What are the worst?

What excercises are the best to do!?

Hi Curvy....

I don't think there's a way that anyone can answer your questions. Since we're all very different, what works for one person may not work for the next. Since you're interested in yoga and Pilates, you might want to just pick one and give it a try. If it seems to be helping after a few sessions, go with it. If not, try the other one. Finding an instructor who understands scoliosis will be your biggest challenge. If you haven't already checked it out, look at http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was just interested in what everyone does to help strengthen the muscles, what works for people and what they find didn't help at all...

Comment

Thanks also for the yoga for scoliosis reccomendation Linda

Comment

you also might look at the variouspostings re torsorotation exercises (just use search function). Thre is limited evidence that can make a difference.

Comment

Yep, I heard so, but i guess stregthening the back can't hurt!.. better than doing nothing i suppose?!

Thanks, I will search it

Comment

I have to strongly disagree on the claim that exercise make no difference with Scoliosis. If you do a little searching on other countries medical pages you will see that correct exercise can greatly improve the prognosis for scoliosis.
              The US medical system and society in general seems to be centered around the idea of fixing stuff when it's too late rather than prevention.
              Exercising in order to achieve optimal weight, an ideal muscle-to-fat ratio, stretching the spine to keep it flexible and healthy nutrition are important steps that can save a lot of headaches later in life.

Of course, I am not trying to say that this will stop progression in all cases, especially certain types of scoliosis, but it will definitely have a strong effect on quality of life even in those cases.
              Last edited by chamade; 07-01-2006, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chamade
                I have to strongly disagree on the claim that exercise make no difference with Scoliosis. If you do a little searching on other countries medical pages you will see that correct exercise can greatly improve the prognosis for scoliosis.
                The US medical system and society in general seems to be centered around the idea of fixing stuff when it's too late rather than prevention.
                Exercising in order to achieve optimal weight, an ideal muscle-to-fat ratio, stretching the spine to keep it flexible and healthy nutrition are important steps that can save a lot of headaches later in life.

Of course, I am not trying to say that this will stop progression in all cases, especially certain types of scoliosis, but it will definitely have a strong effect on quality of life even in those cases.
                I agree with this post with all of my being. I also think that a lot of doctors in the US from what I read are big on surgery. In Canada it's more when we're teens, and I think that if I had known about Pilates or Yoga before getting surgery, it would have helped a lot. My scoliosis pain got worse and really started to affect my life only after I stopped working b/c of other health problems(mostly insomnia and severe digestive problems), and b/c of that I started to lay around too much and my back muscles became weak.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I have been afraid of yoga, but since a lot of people have stated that it helps, I would like to know more information. There is a yoga studio close to where I live, but I don't know what type they do. I did order the DVD that was suggested, but it hasn't arrived yet. Can anyone suggest a type of yoga that would be helpful for scoliosis? Some of it can be strenuous and I'm just afraid of it.

Comment

what I'd do...

Hi!
                    I'm a P.T. and a mom with a 22 year old daughter who has scoliosis. A little history before I share my suggestion.
                    I never wanted to know a lot about idiopathic scoliosis. It might be the most difficult dx to treat in P.T. because of its 3-D presentation, mysterious onset, unpredictable progression, etc. Anyway, when my daughter was ~13 I thought that my she was developing an abnormal thoracic curve. I took her to her pediatrician who said, "no, doesn't exist". Each year I took her back to that practice but to different pediatricians who agreed, "no curve". She was screened twice in middle school; "no curve". By then I was pretty sure I must be seeing things. I wasn't a pediatric P.T. after all. Imagine my surprise, when Sarah was standing in our yard fully dressed for her junior prom and an acquaintance who is an internal medicine doc, said out of the blue, "how long has Sarah had scoliosis?" Needless to say, XRays were taken ASAP and revealed 2 curves, >40 degrees! She went to University of Michigan's scoliosis clinic where she was told she "needed a 14 level fusion as soon as possible" or she "would die". It didn't make sense to me. She had no pain and her lumbar curve was completely flexible. After 2 years of research, we read about Dr. George Picetti in CA (who our insurance wouldn't pay for) and then visited Dr. Randal Betz in Phili who both do thoracoscopic scoliosis surgery. Dr. Betz thought he could straighten her spine doing a 6 level fusion to improve her cosmetically, but that she "didn't need it right now". We scheduled surgery, but a month before, Sarah cancelled it.
                    I started exploring exercise options. First, I noticed Elise Miller's yoga website. She claims that some curves can be maintained and/or their progression slowed with yoga. I sent Sarah to yoga for 8 weeks and purchased Ms. Miller's DVD and workbook. Sarah had difficulty doing those exercises. Somehow with little hands-on instruction, it's hard to feel what "straight" or "normal" feels like. It's hard to feel if what you are doing is accurate. Recently I have learned a lot about the Schroth exercise program which involves 3 dimensional stretching, strengthening, and self-traction which is taught at an intensity that should have some lasting benefit (4 hours/day for 2 weeks). Tentatively, Sarah will travel to Wisconsin in late September to be Schroth-trained. At least she will have some tools to try to slow the progression of her condition. If this is helpful for her, this is what I would recommend for anyone who has slowly progressing AIS. We will have to see.
                    Back to your original question. Yoga and Pilates are both good exercise principles. Yoga is great for stretching and flexibility and Pilates is great for core strengthening and stability. What would be perfect is to have some advice about your individual curves so that you can tailor those exercises to benefit you the most.
                    Good luck as you commit yourself to keeping yourself fit. This is no easy task for any of us!

Comment

Dear Gardenjen,

Sounds like you are doing the right things for your daughter. I went through most of my young adult life with 50-60 degree curves, married, had children, functioned alright into my 40's before the progression and disability brought me to surgery.

Let us know how the Schroth method in Wisconsin goes for your daughter and if you recommend it.

Deb

age 47
                      T65,L75
                      Surgery scheduled for 7/24/06

Comment

best wishes

Hi Deb!
                        Thank you for your reply. I have had no idea whether I have been doing anything right in regard to my own daughter. Your life seems to be a good example of one that has been functional without surgery at an early age for curves >40 degrees. I wish you a successful outcome from your surgical procedure. You will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming weeks.
                        -Jen.
                        P.S. I am curious. You are from Grand Rapids. We are just across the state in Chelsea. Where are you having surgery and who is doing it?

Comment

Hi Jen,
                          I am taking my 13 yr old daughter today for her first Pneumex treatment. She has a 34T/45L curves. This treatment is offered at the chiro. office but is overseen by the PT there. He said he has seen reduction of curves in every case but one that they've treated. It is a combination of therapies but I believe the most beneficial is the exercise of the paraspinal muscles specific to the curve. They are working up a treatment plan so this evening I will know more about it. Since you are a PT, I was wondering if you've heard of this and/or know of anyone who's tried it and their results. I'm somewhat skeptical because we just went through 3 months of a different type of therapy with no results. I believe exercise is the way to go and I know Schroth focuses on stretching and exercise. If you haven't heard of Pneumex, they have a website, www.pneumex.com, that has their program in more detail. I will definitely post again as she is monitored and pass on our results. You sound like myself, I am doing what I can so my daughter can hopefully be saved from having a fusion or at least postpone it until she can no longer deal with the pain. Good luck to you and your daughter.
                          Sherie

Comment

Sherie:
                            You sound like myself, I am doing what I can so my daughter can hopefully be saved from having a fusion or at least postpone it until she can no longer deal with the pain.
                            Sherie:
                            I was a 13 year old with a 100deg curve when I reached that point.
                            This happened to me very rapidly between the age or 11 and 13.

It was very scary for my mom when I reached that degree, to even then in 1956(!) "to put a healthy child in the hospital for such drastic surgery"--her words.
                            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Karen,

I can only imagine how frightening that would be. My daughter had surgery for appendicitis already and I was so afraid something would go wrong even with that routine surgery. I know if she had a curve as severe as yours, there would be no choice, but she is not experiening any pain and so far, it appears she is holding around 45 in her lumbar. Like I said, I will keep everyone posted on the Pneumex results, good or bad.

Take care,
                              Sherie

Comment

Working...
                              X