Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on how long after surgery are you allowed to actually do social things.

For example have a few alcoholic drinks??????

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

I don't know what other surgeons tell patients, but mine said 1 year to drink.
    He said alcohol thins your blood too much and interferes with the fusion process. He said that's also why he doesn't prescribe or recommended NSAIDS. They have a blood thinning agent that messes things up.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

WOW..........one year seems so long. My surgeon didn't mention anything to me, but I'll ask at my next visit.
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

My surgeon didn't tell me any of this stuff and my new one still didn't tell me but it's probably for the best. I rarely drink so it's not really a problem for me but I doubt having one drink on a rare occasion would be bad. I asked about the NSAIDs and he told me that after the first three months, it was okay to take some on occasion, like Advil. The prescribed ones are stronger and less advised.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

No Drinking??!!

OH NO ARE YOU KIDDING? I never asked this question! My pharmacist told me to put a shot of whisky on my norco to help it work better! I said I don't like wiskey I like beer. He said it wouldn't help as much. Yikes...... I am calling my Dr. tommorow to find out if I've totally screwed up by drinking. What next, no sex?

Comment

I Just spoke to my Drs. office and drinking is not the problem of fusion not taking, it is smoking. So, I guess if you are going to drink, do it somewhere there is no smoking going on! Whew........... scared myself.

Comment

Working...
            X