PDA

View Full Version : How Long

LEELEE85
06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me on how long after surgery are you allowed to actually do social things.

For example have a few alcoholic drinks??????

katblack
06-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I don't know what other surgeons tell patients, but mine said 1 year to drink.
He said alcohol thins your blood too much and interferes with the fusion process. He said that's also why he doesn't prescribe or recommended NSAIDS. They have a blood thinning agent that messes things up.

summer
06-17-2006, 11:29 AM
WOW..........one year seems so long. My surgeon didn't mention anything to me, but I'll ask at my next visit.

sweetness514
06-17-2006, 04:50 PM
My surgeon didn't tell me any of this stuff and my new one still didn't tell me but it's probably for the best. I rarely drink so it's not really a problem for me but I doubt having one drink on a rare occasion would be bad. I asked about the NSAIDs and he told me that after the first three months, it was okay to take some on occasion, like Advil. The prescribed ones are stronger and less advised.

Suzy
06-18-2006, 01:25 PM
OH NO ARE YOU KIDDING? I never asked this question! My pharmacist told me to put a shot of whisky on my norco to help it work better! I said I don't like wiskey I like beer. He said it wouldn't help as much. Yikes...... I am calling my Dr. tommorow to find out if I've totally screwed up by drinking. What next, no sex?

Suzy
06-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I Just spoke to my Drs. office and drinking is not the problem of fusion not taking, it is smoking. So, I guess if you are going to drink, do it somewhere there is no smoking going on! Whew........... scared myself.