This news article sure scares me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This news article sure scares me!!!

Considering my doctor said ALL of my fusion material would be from cadaver, now I have another thing to worry about!
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060610/...e_i_abridged_7

Hi Marcia,

That article seems to pertain to tissue, not bone donation. At the time of my surgery, I was more concerned about receiving someone else's blood than bone. I'm sure someone here can give you good advice on the subject.

Shari

Comment

Marcia/Shari,

Have either of you seen the June issue of Reader's Digest? There is an article talking about a guy who bought bones and veins from funeral homes (without permission of the families), changed the age of the deceased and their cause of death and then made the bones available for use in surgeries. Of the people who they've contacted who received the bones, some have tested positive for Hepatitis B and C. I guess only time will tell if any of them develop Aids/HIV.

Sorry to worry you more, but just wanted to make you aware that things like this do happen.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Even more articles came out today and yes, they are talking about bone too.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060611/..._ii_abridged_1
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060611/...me/flesh_fda_1

I haven't seen the Reader's Digest article....will have to look around the house since I do subscribe to it.

I intend to email my doctor and see what response I get about it....just out of curiosity.

Comment

Marcia, They took bone from my hip for my surgery. Thank god I didn't have to use a cadaver,from the article it would be scary. Mattie

Comment

tissue/bone for surgery

These problems apparently happened but, considering all the transplant /implant surgery being done, it's got to be rare. Otherwise it would be all over the place.

I had cadaver bone put in over 40 years ago before all sorts of testing was done and never had a problem. Though I am not sure, the best non-profit hospitals--as opposed to the profit hospitals, are more careful of their sources.

This time I had cadaver bone but a portion of my fusion was bone used from my ribs when the thoracoplasty was done.

Try not to get overly alarmed about this--especially since there is more awareness. Be aware also that sensational stories like this sell newspapers and magazines.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks Karen, I appreciate your comments. The fact that this has come out 3 months before my surgery is probably very much to my advantage. This weekend I have had some really anxious moments thinking about what is ahead anyway. This just fueled the fire I guess. Most of the times I try not to think to much about it all.

Comment

Marcia,

The first article you posted about is talking about the same guy as the article in Reader's Digest.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
                X