Weight Loss and Height Calculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss and Height Calculation

How do you deal with places such as weight watchers or even on-line calculators when you are trying to determine how much you should weigh?

As we get shorter (those of us w/o surgery), the legs actaully don't change...it's only the top half so what do you go by? How tall you SHOULD be or how tall you really are?

I used to be 5'5 whan I was diagnosed. I'm now 5'3.5 so that makes about a 10 lb difference as far as I can tell.

Just curious how everyone else does this.
    43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
    62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
    Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

weight

i had my fusions 45 years ago, before the rods. my doc tells me if i was completely straight, i'd be at least 1 1/2- 2 inches taller. so i figure i'm compressed, and not 5' 1 1/2, but 5'4 which is what my sister and adult daughters are. makes it seem like i'm closer to so called
    "normal weight" each inch = 5 pounds according to the weight charts.

Comment

Fat stomach!!!!

I am about 146 now & am about 5'4" now.. my original height was 5'8". To me, my stomach looks so fat/bloated from being scrunched up! As I've said before, I look like a little buddha doll...either that or a beer belly!!! I can't wait to be straightened out. I always have weighed more than I look/ big bone wt perhaps. Many friends are a bit shocked when I say I may lose much wt after the operations for they feel I'm thin now. As you can see by my weight, I'm not wasting away by any means...........Ly
      surg in Aug..

Comment

This is a great question. I go to Weight Watchers and I am using my current height. I was 5'8" and am now 5'6". I have scoliosis, but also have osteopenia, so I may have lost height from that. I'm 52. I have wondered which weight would be the most accurate as I still feel like I'm 5'8" in my mind, LOL.

Comment

Lynne,

Everytime I look in the mirror, I find myself looking more and more like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I was told that my actual height would be around 5'8" to 5'9" if I had a normal spine, so that's what I'm using as an indicator of what I should weigh.

Chris

Comment

chris---how much height have you lost(orig. 5'8")??

Comment

At skeletal maturity I was 5'6½" with a curve in my spine. If I did not have the curve, I would have been like my sisters at 5'8" and 5'9". I stayed at 5'6½" until I reached my late 40s. Then I started to notice clothes weren't fitting right. I was becoming short-waisted. I'm now 5'4" and I attribute the height loss to a rapid progression of my scoliosis during the menopause years.

Comment

Working...
              X