Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Pregnant

Hi,

Don't know if this is the right place to post but just wondering on those who have had a spinal fusion done before if they were able to become pregnant or it was too hard. Also how long can you become pregnant?

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi Leelee...

In addition to responses you receive here, you may want to do a search (see Search link above). There have been numerous previous discussions on the topic.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm curious too. My. dr. said I should wait one year before trying. However, due to fusion to S1 I'm not allowed to have an epidural!!
      Has anyone given birth after surgery without an epidural?
      thanks
      Jenn
      37 y/o female
      60 degree lumbar
      45 degree thoracic
      1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
      T 5 to S 1
      NYC

Comment

Hi leelee! My name is Leelee too lol. but yeah, like everyone said you can get pregnant just fine.
        ~Leelee ♪
        [-] 17 years old
        _[-] 12th grade
        [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
        _[-] kyphosis, 67*
        [-] Boston brace for 4 years
        _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Epidural

Summer - I did not have an epidural and had absolutely no problem during delivery or during my pregnancy. I had scoliosis surgery February of 1981 and had my daughter November of 1986. Never an ache or pain during or after her birth for many years! Hope you are recovering well. Lynn
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

I was told I COULD have an epidural, but didn't feel like it was the safest option for me..... So I gave birth 100% naturally and did fine! My surgery was in 96 and my daughter was born in 05. I plan to have a second (naturally) soon. It did take us 12 months to get pregnant, but I don't believe that had anything to do with my back. We ended up using instead cups and got pregnant the first month we tried with them. If you want more information, just let me know. Good luck!!
            Tonya

Comment

hi leelee,
              i have had two babies and have had no problem getting pregnant and maintaining prenancy. i had first naturally and was induced so i had to lay in a bed for almost 24 hours. my back was fine until the last hour, but i recovered very easily. my second was caeserian and my anaethetist recommended epidural and apart from being panicky whilst recieving it i love that i was awake to hear my little boy scream the room apart.

Comment

pregnancy

I had my surgery two years ago, and originally my doctor told me to wait 18 months post-op before trying to get pregnant. He later revised the timeframe, as I was healing well (and my clock was sort of ticking), so I started trying 15 months post-op and got pregnant the second month of trying. I now have a 3 month old daughter.
                I was told I perhaps could have had an epidural, but there was a chance of having a spinal headache. An epidural would have been a long-shot, as I am fused to L-5. During labor I managed with some IV pain killers. My back was fine during the pregnancy and delivery...
                Heather
                Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                Anterior/posterior surgery
                Fused T-11 to L-5
                Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Leelee!

I had my surgery at around 16 in 85 and had my kids in 97 and 99. I was told from one doctord due to my lower back pain and deterioration that it would be emotionaly wise to forget about children. But, then once married I asked my new doctor who was the best one I had ever had(gone now)and is response was that he would never tell a women that she can not have any children due to her back until it was scientificaly proven.
                  It was in my case very risking due to the pain level I already expeience and was experiencing at that time, and especialy during birth, but all the precautions were taken, and although I did lose weigh(12 for the first and another 2 for the second ) it went better then expected. We didn't think that an epid. wouldn't be a problem getting it in, but it turned out it was. Too much cartlege. So I had to have it naturaly and that is what almost killed me. My heart went into some sorte of stress, machines went off etc... but they were prepared for it. My daughter was comming but first, so I had a c-section for her and was able to see her delivery, the were able to get the spinal tap into my cartlage. I was very happy. Oh and during both pregnacie I felt fantastic!! better then ever, except for sleeping. It was incredible the difference. Good luck. Cic.
                  Last edited by CicfromOttawa; 07-12-2006, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X