View Full Version : What to wear under brace?

03-06-2004, 09:58 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:What do you guys wear under your brace? :confused: :confused: :confused:

03-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Um I wear tank top things like 'wife beaters' from wal*mart!

Jill K
03-06-2004, 09:00 PM
What I wear is very thin tank tops. The tighter the better. The first few weeks i had my brace my armpit was rubbing against my brace and it really hurt but now my skin has adapted to it. If you have anymore brace questions just ask. :)

03-06-2004, 10:35 PM
do you kno where i can get tank tops like that?

Jill K
03-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I got some thin tank tops from the GAP, Old Navy, and other stores like that such as Kohls and Target. It might be easier to find these tank tops because it is getting a lot warming so stores should start selling their summer stuff. Just buy a thin tank top smaller than normal. Hope this helps :)

03-07-2004, 04:06 PM
under my boston brace, I wore thin, seamless T-shirts - kind of like undershirts with short sleeves to cover the whole area of the brace.
seamless was very important to me because otherwise my brace would leave the imprint of the seam on my skin and it would really hurt.

good luck!!!

it takes a while to get used to the brace, but then it's almost like second nature. good luck!

about your previous question about what to wear while wearing the brace: I found that tight clothes showed the brace, so I wore slightly baggier clothes - not even so baggy but just not tight.


03-09-2004, 04:17 PM
you can get tank tops at kholes and walmart

03-09-2004, 10:07 PM
My doctor gave me these weird special undershirts to wear...supposed to be for a back brace, cuz that's what it says on the package. Then again, I am a guy. Yeah..but I guess any tight undershirt should do...

03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
My doctor gave me these really thin, soft white tank tops that had a little sleeve under the armpit so the brace wouldn't rub against my underarms... I don't think you can get them in a normal store, you might have to ask for them. Weird that they never just gave you one with your brace... ask them about that maybe?


03-10-2004, 07:11 PM
oh they did, but it is hard to find clothes to wear witht hem because most shirts are a little more low cut than what those things allow :D

03-11-2004, 02:34 PM
i use a undershirt and cutt off the straps and sewed it to just put a flat over the top you can get them at walmart :D

03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
try and get something with not very many seams b/c the seams will push into you and cause discomfort - - - believe me. ;)

03-18-2004, 04:52 PM
You should really ask your doctor about the special undershirts that can be bought to wear under the brace. Mine came thick, but stretchy, and I found them to be extremely comfortable. They also have a little flap in the armpit that comes out and over the brace. Hope I've been helpful!

03-28-2004, 05:51 PM
There are several mfg. of light weight body socks called torso socks. These are specifically made for wearing under a brace. My 12 year old daughter wears the tube top type under a wilmington Jacket. The socks keep her cool due to the use of Coolmax fabric that breathes and carries moisture away to evaporate.

Ask for Royal Knit from your doctor or an Orthist.


03-29-2004, 06:26 PM
where can i buy one of those tube top ones?

03-29-2004, 06:38 PM

E-mail or phone Royal Knit at the link below and ask them for a retailer in your area.


I hope this helps you. My daughter likes them since they are form fitting and made for this purpose. Good luck!

03-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Ask your doctor, or if theres a special place where your brace is made (where they do a body cast and use it as a mold for the brace) ask them - they will definately sell that sort of thing.

07-16-2004, 01:47 PM
I Wear these Tube top's!
I Get em at gillette childrens Hospittal!!!!!

07-17-2004, 02:29 PM
everyone~ hey gurlies...mk the shirts you guys are all talkin about...i have like 1 or 2 of them *unopened* if you want me to send them to you i WILL...i have no use for them anyways...since i had the surgery nd all...but umm the first that emails me i guess i will send them to ya or watever..or yeah...i dont kno...um email me at lilcutipie_07@yahoo.com and like in the subject box thingy just put like "special shirts" lol mmk oh yeah...nd there not tha tube top ones that everyones talkin about there the normal ones i think...there like long *well not too long* but yeah...and they have the capped sleeves so i guess...just email me and ill get back with you! thanks much luv ~ <3 ellen <3