Considering surgery...Question on bathroom stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering surgery...Question on bathroom stuff

A little gross but I have to know and I know you all will be honest. I have IBS w/diarrhea a few times a week, bad stomach pains, etc. etc. I'm not really worried about the constipation as I know exactly what to eat to bring on the bowel movements BUT I seriously need to know...can you take care of clean up in the bathroom yourself - to put it in a nice way - right after surgery or do you need someone to do that for you? My mom and husband would be my caregivers but even after 9 years of marriage I just can't imagine him having to do this! I know it's probably the last thing to worry about but when you have IBS and are in the bathroom constantly this does tend to be a big deal. I've tried doing this w/o moving my back just to see but when you're really not in pain it's hard to tell what all you're moving.

I was reading Corkscrew's posts about his wife being in the bathroom with him but I didn't know if that was everyone or maybe if it depended on how far the fusion was...I have a T7 - L2 curve so I would imagine I wouldn't be fused the whole way down (but I don't know for sure how that works).

Thanks everyone.
    43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
    62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
    Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

There are some embarassing topics, but necessary. When I finally could go to the bathroom (my last day in the hospital) I did need help and only for two times after that. I was then flexible enough to use the bathroom independently. Just remember everyone is different.
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

Hi...

An excellent question. I think it depends on how long and how low your fusion is. Fortunately, if you do need help, a toilet tissue aid can do the trick:

http://www.beabletodo.com/Detail.bok?no=37

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I just knew Linda could steer us to some kind of device. This has been a big concern of mine as well since I too suffer from IBS and I will require a long fusion to the sacrum. At least I don't have to worry about feminine hygiene stuff. I believe that would require some dexterity as well. All this stuff to think about.

Chris

Comment

My goodness. What haven't they thought of! I didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks.
          43 y.o. married w/a 12 and 14 y.o
          62 degree curve T7 - L2 that is now being measured at 54 degrees?????
          Never had surgery/Thinking about it and gathering all the info I can!

Comment

Post op IBS

Usually the pain meds will stop diarrhea cold.

There is an excellent self-help web site to get a grip on this which helped me:
            helpforibs.com

Actually, since I also have IBS-well controlled using their hints-I was not troubled while on post op pain medicines.
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I appreciate the question. With surgery from T2-S1 required, I want to be prepared for things like this. I've been married for nearly 34 years, but I have always been totally private in the bathroom. I don't want my husband to help me in this area! Letting him help me shower early on is all I intend to expect of him in the way of personal hygienne! Guess I need to look into ordering the "helper".

Comment

I really don't want my husband doing more than helping w/ the shower too, Marcia!! I may need that device too! Like I said in another post, they measured my arms at 5'9"or more so I hope(if you can move your arms a bit???) I'll be able to manage! Ly

Comment

I had a long fusion and couldn't reach. My sis is an OT and instead of shelling out $25.95 for a device to wipe my hiney, she went and bought a brand new salad tong.
                  I know, not what you would use it for but for only like $6, it worked exactly as the pricier contraption does.
                  She used to work with patients who spent that money and then had some patients who couldn't afford all those kinds of aids so she "invented" stuff.

I still have days these few months later, where I can't reach and I don't understand it.
                  One trip to the restroom I can reach just fine for all my hygiene needs and some others, I can't. It's very frustrating too.

On the girly issues, I'm not a maxi pad person. I hate the diaper feeling between my legs.
                  Some trips I can do tampons no problem and others I can't.
                  You just have to go with it and do what you body wants to do at that moment.

As for when I first came home.
                  I was drugged to the gills all the time and had a lot of trouble. I'm a single mom. My sons did not wipe my butt for me but they would help get me toilet paper and help me in and out of the shower.
                  My insurance would not pay for a home health aide for anything other than suture cleaning and changing of the gauze pads.
                  One of the aides though did help me with a shower and had a great idea.
                  I must share this!!

You will not be able to get your sutures wet but will want a shower in the worst way. You will stink to high heaven!
                  She brought over a box of Glad press n' seal plastic wrap stuff.
                  She tore off a huge length of it because I'm T-3 to S-1.
                  She stuck it on my sutures and pressed it on. It stuck!!
                  She then gave me a shower and my sutures did not get wet at all.
                  My next several showers were done the same way until the sutures came out.
                  36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                  Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                  Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                  Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                  Curve post op = 20 degrees
                  No pain anymore!!
                  Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Omigod Kat, that's brilliant!!!

Salad tongs and Press 'n Seal.....who knew?

Of course, if one were to purchase a salad tong for said purpose, you wouldn't want it to accidentally end up in the silverware drawer !!!!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Nope....lol
                      I washed it with anti-bacterial soap and then placed it in a drawer in my medicine cabinet and now since I have no real use for it anymore, I threw it away.
                      The kids thought it was funny of course.
                      Me: Boys, can you reach the toilet paper for me?
                      Boys: sure mom. *get tp*
                      Me: *wrap it and ball it between the tongs*
                      Boys: bwahahhaahahahah!
                      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                      Curve post op = 20 degrees
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

What a hoot and yet so informative! Salad tongs will be added to my list of necessities! Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Hi lostfan,

I was in a brace, which made reaching my behind impossible. I had no trouble with the front and I was one of the lucky ones to not have a period the whole time I was in my brace.

I didn't know at the time there was a device that would have assisted me. Linda R. has a great list that I wish I had seen before my surgery.

Shari

Comment

A bidet with a drying mechanism built in would be nice..hehe
                            30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                            2005 - T50, L31
                            bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                            2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                            Post - op curve ~35

Comment

I am fused to L4 and did not have trouble with reaching areas for bathroom hygiene. It wasn't easy mind you, but I was able to do the necessary stuff on my own. I used the kamode seat in place as a raised toilet seat and there were times when my husband had to clean it because of bm issues, but other than that, I handled all the hygiene stuff on my own. Just some encouragement that even with a long, low fusion...It can be done!

Comment

Working...
                              X