Fusion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion Question

I am posting for my mother to ask some questions because she is currently too unwell to do so herself. Her surgery was 3 week ago yesterday and I am afraid that she has had a major setback. Yesterday she moved a certain way and suddenly experienced a shooting pain up her back that has been excruciating. She was unable to put any pressure on her right foot at all. Up until now she has been doing marvelously. Now it is like she has returned to day one. She was immediately taken over to her surgeon’s office where they told her that she may have pulled a muscle, but that it is possible that she messed up some of her surgeon's work. Did anyone experience anything like this? Is it possible that the fusion had not completely taken place and she has some how or other damaged it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried. Thanks

Hi...

You wouldn't believe how common it is to think one has screwed up their implants. While it's possible that something is wrong, it's really not worth worrying about. I think that problems with implants are rarely emergencies. Only time will actually tell if there's actually anything wrong.

Good luck... hope it's nothing.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Leviwood,

During my recovery from my last surgery I remember I moved wrong when sitting up in bed and was so worried that I had screwed something up because i was hearing a popping noice and a weird feeling in my back. I called my doctor right away and told him what I was experiencing and he said it is nothing to worry about. It could be possible that there may be something wrong but hopefully not!
      I know it does take a long time for the fusion to heal so in 3 weeks it wont even be close to healed. The most important things are to not bend, lift, pull anything with your upper body. Your mom definlty has to be very careful in the recovery process and it isnt just the first month after surgery but the next 6mths to a year. I believe that is how long it takes for the fusion to heal completly according to my doctor.

I wish her the best during her recovery. She will feel many differnt pains during recovery as I did and I just think it is the body adjusting to the new hardware and recovering from the surgery. I hope this is her case....

Sarah
      Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
      2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
      March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
      August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
      August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi Leviwood,

You've already gotten great advice. I just want to add that your mother is blessed to have a daughter like you. Obviously, you are taking good care of her, don't forget about yourself. You are going through a rough time too.

Shari

Comment

I too wish you and your mother the best. I hope nothing has happened to her hardware,or messed up her surgery. I know when I had my first surgery I was always worried about hurting myself, or tearing something up in my back.
          I guess it is possible but your Dr. is the best one to ask. He will know what is wrong. When I thought I had screwed something up in my back the first one I went to was my Dr. He x-rayed me and assured me nothing was wrong.
          When something did mess up in my back he was again the first one I went to and he knew exactly what had happened. He fixed it and now i feel pretty good.
          Your mother seems blessed to have you. Give her my best and I will be praying everything turns out ok.
          Mattie

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and personal experience. My mother is still in an enormous amount of pain, but she has an appointment tomorrow at her surgeon's office to be x-rayed. I am praying that they will find that no damage has been done. I love this forum. I always feel so reassured by all of your words. Thank you all so much.

Jackie

Comment

mother's post op pain

These pains were common when I was about 3 weeks post-op. It was nerves waking up. This will go on for awhile.

Fortunately I was in a rehab hospital where I was given a helpful remedy right away by the staff doctor. It was neurontin --much better for nerve pain than narcotics. When home I found a pain doctor much more helpful for pain management than either the surgeon or the GP because he/she can fine tune pain control enabling better sleep and more activity.

I really wished middle aged scoliosis surgery patients would do two things to make life easier: go to a rehab hospital and use a pain doctor for only a few months post op. Covered by insurance. No matter how loving the family they are ill equipped to do this.

The rehab hospital will help the post-op patient get used to being taller and help avoid wrong movements while healing.
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thank you to everyone who advised me. My Mother was x-rayed a few days ago and they found that all of her hardware was still intact. She did tear a musscle, but she is feeling much better now. She has learned the har way not to over do it. She will be going to see a pain Dr. soon (Thank you karen for the idea). Thanks again everyone for keeping me from being too afraid of the worst!

Comment

Working...
                X