Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to College After Surgery?

Hello everyone,

I've been searching around this forum for a while and all the posts have been very informative. I am scheduled for surgery on July 13th and will be entering college on September 26th (incidentally, at the same university where I will be having the surgery). The problem is that the campus is very large and most students have to use bicycles to get to classes. I am assuming bicycles are out for me, since my surgeon said nothing where there is a possibility of falling. I've been wondering how I will get around campus and wanted to hear from other people about their experiences. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great also. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from everyone!

maybe you should get a doctors note allowing you to be a couple of minutes late to your class? im getting that for school next year which starts August 8 and im having surgery tomorrow...best of luck
    ~Wanda~
    40TL curve pre op
    Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
    San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
    June 7, 2006
    post op curve: 16

Comment

Try looking into the on campus bus system or possibly a handicapped sticker for a month or two.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if I'll be able to physically make the walks across campus as even at the admit weekend, I was already tired walking around campus. Has anybody had experience with long walks about two months after surgery? There is a campus bus system, but I would really rather not rely on that to get me to classes. First-years aren't allowed cars, but perhaps I should ask for an exemption?

Comment

Aniluu, I would try for an exemption due to your back. Because of your back you may be required to have follow up exams at other physicians offices other than the one that is at your university. I would also suggest getting a disabled plackard for a few months until you are completly back on your feet. At a big university it is especially hard to find parking and when you do it is painful to walk all the way to class. I just got done with the first year of college at a really small school and campus is TINY! There were still days when I thought I would die. I had surgery over my christmas break in between semesters (revision, i thought it would be long enough to recover).
          Other than that I would talk to the surgeon and see what s/he recommends.

Comment

How about one of those motorized scooters that you see people using in WalMart?

Kindest Regards,
            Gail

Comment

Hey aniluu,

Since you're having surgery over the summer and starting school in September, you should contact your university's center for students with disabilities -- since you would more than qualify for having a temporary physical condition. Your doctor would have to supply them with a letter and any other documents, and by working with them you should be able to find some accommodations to best suit your needs. Also, any information that you give to the disabilities center within your school is kept strictly confidential. I go to a huge university as well (NYU) and their disabilities center has done a lot for me (I started my first year of college there when I was 1 year post-op and they really helped me out a lot!).

Stay strong and good luck,

-c
              "If it is possible, it can be done. If it is impossible, it must be done."

Comment

My daughter had surgery the first week in April and was easily taking two mile walks by the end of May. She plays soccer and was in good physical shape before surgery so that probably helped. You greater issue may be carrying books around. My daughter could only carry about one textbook and notebook at a time because of weight restrictions. Start taking walks everyday now up until the day of your surgery it will make a difference. Good Luck.
                Kate

Comment

Working...
                X