I'm new. Freaking out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new. Freaking out!

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm 25 having fusion in 3 weeks on June 30th in Sydney, prince of Wales Hospital under Dr Angus Gray. Was scheduled in for November 14th last year but they cancelled it outright with 3 weeks to go so i'm obviously very nervous that the same might happen now. Have a major question, i have had a lot of anxiety over the past few weeks, and last week i woke up in the middle of night dripping wet with sweat and i don't think i had a bad dream or anything. I had to shower and dry off because the last thing i want now is a cold. Has anyone had this happen before. I'm sure it is just the stress.
    Also, what did you post oppers do to relieve the stress when there is only a few weeks to go? Any advice or suggestions. My mum is also freaking out and if theres any mothers out there who could help her with some advice it would be muchly appreciated.
    Katie

Katie,
    It is perfectly normal to be "stressed out" about such a big surgery. Ask you doctor for a mild tranqulizer or something to help you sleep.
    SandyC

Comment

Thanks for that. It's a very daunting thing to be going through especially since I've been waiting 18 months to get it done. I just can't wait for it to be over with so i can get back on with life and healing.
      Katie

Comment

Hi Katie,

The anticipation of this surgery is as bad as having it, in my opinion. It is very normal to be stressed about it. I have to agree with Sandy. Sometimes medication is the best answer. No one can say anything that could possibly ease you from the many thoughts that are going through your mind. It's a hard thing to deal with, but you are not alone.

Shari

Comment

Hi Katie,
          wow! 18 mos of waiting for this surgery must have made you very strong & patient!!! I will have waited about 8 mths by my upcoming surgery date & it's not easy, I know! Just make sure you enjoy every day & do fun( active) stuff, like it sounds like you are, until surgery...Ly
          ps. from your other post: Do enjoy your peppermint or peach schnapps!

Comment

Hi Katie

I totally know what you mean! My surgery is the 26th and I am beyond freaking out too. I'm trying to keep myself VERY busy! I think thats why this forum is so AWESOME! Atleast we know we are not alone and all the post op people seem to have made it through... gives hope and strength to go thru this. My doctor prescribed me something for anxiety, etc. But, the side effects were not worth it to me- so I had to stop taking it. I think the biggest thing is to stay strong and very optomistic. I am going to do alot of cool things over the next 19 days (okay- I admit I am counting), like go fishing with my dad, take my daughter to the zoo, have lunch with friends, etc. My last day of work is tommarow..... I'm kind of excited about that! I think staying very busy will help... we will see.
            Angela
            29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Working...
            X