Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring post-op?

Good evening all.
    Curious about post-op after long fusion and rods get put in on 13 June. When you left the hospital- what was it like in terms of activity? Is most of the time lying in bed? I assume we on our back- can we "sit" in the bed with pillows? What about sitting? So many questions!
    Again, I am totally impressed with so many people who have huge fusions and yet do so well after it.
    Walk with God.
    Eric
    Eric
    Army LTC
    13 June 06
    L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
    T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

I tried to not spend a lot of time in bed but it was hard because I was so tired all the time. I was completely wore out.
    First of all I have had three surgeries. My first one was the hardest. I was in intensive care in the hospital for 5 days, and everything is a little fuzzy.
    My total hospital stay was 8 days. On my way home from the hospital I had to lay down in the back seat, because the jarring in the seat sitting up was to much for me. I had a 1 hour and a half drive home. I do remember though that I sure was glad to be home. Like they old saying goes "theres no place like home".
    I did do a lot of resting whether sitting in a chair or lying down. But I did try to not lie around to much because it made me feel stiff all over.
    I always had to sleep on my sides. My insicion and staples hurt if I laid on my back. Which I have always slept on my side.
    I had to wear a brace for 6 months. First three months I had to wear it 23 hours a day. Then after that I had to wear it if I went outside or was in a vehicle in case of an injury as a precaution.
    My Dr. told me to walk, walk, walk and thats what I did. Each week I got stronger and had more energy.
    I did loose a lot of weight after surgery and was constipated but I made it and you will too, you just have to have faith.
    I am now 8 months post-op after my third surgery and I feel great. Still some pain but not bad.
    Hope I didn't bore you. Just trying to answer your questions from my personal experience.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    Mattie

Comment

thanks

thanks mayyie- you did answer several key questions. i am glad we can sleep on our sides- that is very good to know.
      thanks much. eric
      Eric
      Army LTC
      13 June 06
      L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)

Comment

Hello
        I was able to sit and chat, watch TV, or read simple magazines for about 30 minutes at a time. Then I would switch chairs or positions and go for very short walks. I would sleep about an hour and a half at a time or just lie in bed with my feet up and watch TV. I had to lie down a lot due to swollen ankles and feet. You may not have that side effect from the surgery. I basically rotated from sleeping/resting in bed, sitting in chairs and going on short walks for the first two weeks. Best of luck to you!
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

Thanks Jenn

Appreciate the heads up. Since you had a very long fusion, I think my recovery should be about the same. It is good to know I will be mobile- hip replacement was more immobile in many ways. Thanks again. Eric
          Eric
          Army LTC
          13 June 06
          L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)

Comment

Eric, I couldn't lay on my side after the surgery for several months. I don't know if you will be having an anterior procedure or not. Every once in a while for a few minutes I was able to lay on the side with the stitches. The other side, where there was no incision, was very painful to lay that way. There was to much pressure put on the incision side. My husband and I had to change sides of the bed for about 9 months.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Eric, Are you a stomach sleeper by chance? Staples are tough to sleep on from what most have said. I had dissolvable sutures and could lay on my back. You might write down that question for your Dr. staples or sutures? My friend shattered T4 the week after I had my surgery and we have been comparing scars. He had staples, and his wife said mine healed better. He has dots running along his scar on both sides. I have a firm back chair in my bedroom that worked well with a firm pillow behind my back. I still hate sitting on my couches, too soft and you need to lean back farther to reach the back. I tried pillows behind me but that doesn't work either. So, I'm in the recliner. Also, get a heating pad. I love mine when my back starts to tighten up. You can use pillows to prop yourself up to watch T.V. in bed. You will need a few. I didn't like sitting in bed, it hurt. My drugs knocked me out, I slept a lot. Sleep is good, time passes fast when you are sleeping!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

Theresa and Suzy,
                Appreciate the advice. I thought I would be immobile, but based on what I am hearing- I can be slightly more mobile than I thought. I will ask about staples- had them with my hip replacements and hated them. I am getting post/ant plus the rods (which I thought has a long cut on most of the back). I sleep on sides, so can adjust there. Theresa- I am sorry about your pain and pray it will leave you soon. Suzy- again, thanks for recon.
                May God Walk with You. Eric
                Eric
                Army LTC
                13 June 06
                L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)

Comment

Working...
                X