Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long after surgery before you fixed hair and makeup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long after surgery before you fixed hair and makeup...

Just curious if I will be able to make myself presentable at least a little bit during rehab if some long-lost relatives or friends come to visit!

Hi Marcia,
    I too wondered about this. I got my hair cut and highlighted, polished my toes, put on self tanner and since I have very light eyelashes I had them dyed. (I do this a couple of times in the summer or before vacation. No mascara needed!) In the hosp. I didn't care what I looked like after all that! You will sleep on and off when you get home the first few days, it will be the same. After my first shower at home just doing my hair made me feel I looked great. Forget make-up. You have to wash it all off and you can't bend over the sink. (Face wipes work O.K.) This is coming from someone who wears make-up every day and I am a domestic goddess, as Roseanne use to say. (Housewife.)
    Those who come to see you will understand and just be happy to see you! However if you just can't picture seeing people without your face on try this...If you are fair the eyelash dye lasts till they grow out and you get new. And the self tanners that build up with use will give you a healthy glow. As you feel better your tan will gradually increase, in bed! Just be sure to do your neck, shoulders and arms a bit too. It's easy and makes you feel better when you look better. Or the tinted moisturizers work geat for all skin tones. From one who knows..............
    Last edited by Suzy; 06-04-2006, 12:30 AM.

Comment

make up

Hi Marcia,
      Sorry- my hair is very short and I certainly don't wear make-up
      However, I imagine doing all that will be good for your morale even if long lost folks don't show up! Walk with God. Eric
      Eric
      Army LTC
      13 June 06
      L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
      T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

Ugh.......I'm so tired from just taking a shower I can't imagine doing my hair and make-up. I LOVE the self tanner idea though. I use lotion anyway, so I might as well tan a little!
        Jenn
        37 y/o female
        60 degree lumbar
        45 degree thoracic
        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
        T 5 to S 1
        NYC

Comment

I just plan on getting to the beach as much as I can when the kids get out..mainly July...so maybe get a bit of color, cautiously, of course....
          You mean you can't even get make-up on, physically, or you just don't feel like it?? I use eyeliner every day...
          also does anyone know if it helps to have long arms.. mine measured 5'10" last thurs,,(I don't every remember being 5'10" maybe 5'9" in high school..)for personal hygiene???

Comment

I appreciate the responses...even Eric who doesn't ever worry about such things! I think my hair is the thing I am most concerned about. I was hoping to keep it medium length, but it is baby fine and straight so never looks good unless I've rolled and sprayed it into a style. I keep hearing that you can't reach up high and was wondering if that would effect fixing hair. I'll cut it short if necessary I guess.

I do have an edge on the make up question. I have permanent make-up on my eyebrows, liner, so that is not a problem. But I was just curious about how soon I would feel like doing some fixing-up on my hair and makeup. One week? Two weeks? Guess it varies with everyone.

Comment

I have waist length curly hair and I put it in braids for surgery and even after surgery, I had my sister wash my hair and re-braid it about the first week after I was home. I could not find the strength to brush my hair out at all.

I did not wear any makeup for about a month.
              Truth be told, I didn't give a crap.
              I was tired, on medication, I was sleeping.
              If people who came to see me objected to my non-made up face, too bad.
              36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
              Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
              Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
              Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
              Curve post op = 20 degrees
              No pain anymore!!
              Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

It does vary

I don't wear much make up while I'm in the house so I didn't bother, but it's not that hard to put a bit of mascara, blush or tinted gloss, you know what I mean. Hair is harder to do b/c of holding the hair drier and reaching on top of head, but I could wash my hair at a week post op, so I guess when you feel up to it, it's easier.

I waited a few months to get my roots done, and I will wear a plastic cape and cover the top of my scar with a tape and saran wrap for the rest of the year, b/c I don't like to get my hair washed at the salon(backwards, it hurts), and I wash it in the shower instead. I don't want the hair dye to go on my scar. It's also good to get a good haircut before surgery.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

From my experiences it was a challenge just for me to take a shower after surgery. I think i took a shower 1 week after surgery and i just washed my hair and shaved which felt great!! I didnt blow dry my hair but let it air dry. I dont think i put on any makeup. Too much of a challenge!

What I defintly would suggest is to get your eyebrows waxed (if you do this) right before surgery. I get mine waxed every 2 weeks and by a month after surgery I was defintly due! The tanning thing sounds like a great idea. Doing little things after surgery will defintly make you feel better.

Also what helped me was the hospital provided me with some water free bath cloths. This really helped after surgery when I couldnt take a shower and defintly didnt feel like taking one. If you feel up to putting on makeup or doing your hair, go for it! But I would suggest to maybe put a chair in the bathroom so you can sit while you do these things.

Sarah
                  Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
                  2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
                  March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
                  August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
                  August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

I think it was 2 weeks after surgery before I dried my own hair. Until then, my hubby was my hairstylist I usually straighten my hair every morning, but didn't bother styling it for a few weeks because I would get so tired from the shower that I didn't even want to think about styling my hair. I usually saved styling it for times when I would leave the house. My hair is just past my shoulders and for me, when my hair is shorter, it requires more styling so I found that the longer length was helpful in that I could easily pull my hair into a ponytail.

Honestly, you'll be in recovery from VERY major surgery, so anyone who will be seeing you shouldn't really mind that you haven't styled your hair or put on your make-up. They'll be happy enough to just see you up and about feeling good and getting better

Comment

I haven't had any surgery, yet. But, I do go on the 16th of this month, to possibly see about having it.
                      I would definitely have to get my eyebrows waxed before surgery. It's like my eyebrows shoot out new sprouts over night. I pluck mine about once a week or more; depending on what I have going on.
                      As for my hair. I have fine, straight, thin, life-less hair. I have to blow dry with a round brush & use the big curling iron on the ends. I guess I could have my mother (who lives about 10 minutes away), my mother-in-law (who lives across the road) or sister-in-law (who lives across the road); do it for me. My mother and I never did agree on hairstyles. Makeup, I could probably put enough on to suit me. I don't really have any blemishes, just oily skin.
                      This is definitely a subject to think about, though.
                      Kim
                      Tupelo, MS
                      42 degree curve T1-T5
                      25 degree compensatory curve
                      Diagnosed @ 14 or 15
                      Treating with meds & exercising

Comment

Working...
                      X