Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op Scar Treatments

Hello!
    I'm just curious about how other patients are taking care of their scars. What did your doctor recommend? My posterior surgery was closed by a plastic surgeon and I'm rubbing Aquaphor ointment once a day on my back. However, my anterior surgery scar isn't as pretty. I'm calling my doctor Monday and was just looking for different treatments.
    Thanks!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Hello Summer,

I used triple anti-biotic ointment on my scar for about a month. Then I switched to Mederma scar cream. My scar looks great and is a very thin line.

My doctor told me to use Zinc Oxide(I think that is correct) on my scar during the summer when my scar was exposed to direct sunlight. He told me if I didn't the sunlight would cause my scar to look bad. He said I needed to do this for the first year post-op.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail
    Last edited by Gail; 06-03-2006, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Jenn,
      I too am using mederma and have been since day one. Our family has had great results with it and since I now have the biggest scar in the family am sticking with it. My scar too is a thin line except for the bottom because rather the make another scar my Dr. just harvested my bone graft through the same insision. (He spread it a bit farther open I guess.)

Gail is right, keep your scar out of the sun! I bought SPF 60 in a stick form and also bought paper tape to put over that. (The kind you attach bandage pads to skin with.) Over kill maybe but, I covered my last scar (From a different type of surgery.) and it is gone almost completely.

Mederma isn't cheap but it works. You can order it from the company direct if your stores don't have it. I just happen to have called them recently re:the expiration date of a tube I found. They sent me a $1 off coupon with a letter with this #1-888-925-8989 for further questions.

Hope you are doing well in your recovery.

Comment

scar

Summer,
        I assume the scar is from top to bottom of the back. I was curious too about scars. My hip replacement scars are large (esp the hip revision one)- but after six years- are beginning to fade. The shoulder replacement scar was very thin and I used the same cream talked about by other folks. It is almost faded too. My son (19 yrs old) teases me about being a future zipper back! I gather the anterior cut is visible- curious to see how larger it will be.
        I go under on 13 June- spooky stuff this spinal surgery.
        Walk with God Eric
        Eric
        Army LTC
        13 June 06
        L1-S1 fusion (post-ant)
        T10 - S1 derotation with instrumentation

Comment

If you go to the mederma website, they are having a contest and the prize is a $5,000 getaway trip to the best before and after scar pics using their products.

I thought about treating my scar but I've come to admire it.
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Working...
          X